Masks | Teen Ink

Masks

October 12, 2017
By Naiyanna BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
Naiyanna BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Masks. We all have them and we all use them. A mask is a thing that we wear to hide our true selves. Some people might admit to wearing their mask but most people won’t. The problem with masks is that people wear them so much and use them so often that people won’t know who you truly are. Matter of fact some people wear it so much that they can’t even recognize themselves. Society made masks. Society made it so advertising and so appetizing that everyone decided that they needed to have one. Putting on our masks has just become like a second nature. We put on our masks every day, as a part of our morning routine and don’t even know it. We don’t want people to see who we really are so we put on our masks, afraid that people won’t like us for who we really are behind the masks. Slowly we might let some of our actual selves come out but we soon throw the mask right back on. Some people are so afraid, that they never take their mask off. Everyone cares about being liked or being popular when in reality that shouldn’t matter. People and society should like us for us, not the people we pretend to be. Everyone has an amazing story beneath the mask. This is the sum up of everything; stop judging people by their mask, take off the masks, and listen to people’s story. The things you’ll learn will surprise you.