Brave Face | Teen Ink

Brave Face

September 13, 2017
By JadeMaldonado BRONZE, CORAM, New York
JadeMaldonado BRONZE, CORAM, New York
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Put your brave face on,” they said. “Don’t cry. You’re not a little girl.” But she always knew she was too small for this big world.

“Put your brave face on,” they said. “Don’t be shy.” But all the other kids just passed her by.

“Put your brave face on,” they said “you’re strong.” Yet she always found it difficult to carry on.
“Put your brave face on,” they said “don’t show your fear.” It’s easier for them to say when they aren’t the ones standing here.

 

She was hurt and she felt fear. “Put your brave face on.” she said in the mirror.
She came home and she was tired. She took her brave face off and cried.
“Put your brave face on,” she said. “Don’t let them see you hurting.”But it was so hard because it wasn’t working.

 

“Take your brave face off,” she said. “Let your guard down.” It’s okay for people to see you frown.
“Take your brave face off,” she said “and smile.”
Now that's something she hadn't done in a while.


The author's comments:

I wrote this poem about my past expericences and how i felt like I had to wear a "brave face". This poem is for anyone dealing with something dtressful in their life.