heartbreak poem | Teen Ink

heartbreak poem

By leanne726 BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
leanne726 BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts

There are people who are always in love with the sky no matter the weather. One day you'll find someone who will love you the same way.

sometimes i ask myself / how it is possible / to feel so heartbroken / when you’ve never / been in love / and it is true / that a boy’s touch / or lack thereof / was not what broke me / you see / i was never in love with people / but with the planet / the way the sun sets every night / burying itself into an ocean / of orange and pink / and revealing its face again each morning / like a magic trick / still impressive every time it gets performed // i was in love with autumn /  the blades of a leaf shedding to reveal / a circulatory system / as complex as my own / back when veins were just beauty / and not the tragedy that is a blooming flower / the need to open up // i was in love with myself / the hairpin curves under my eyes / and the oceans within / always beautiful and never burning // but / the world stopped loving me / and in turn i broke my own heart / you see / when the thing you love most / doesn’t love you back / you begin to see the world in only shades of grey / the force of gravity between me and my bed / grew stronger / but why would i ever want to / leave my bed / when the air outside felt like / acid on my skin / why would i want to love again / when the world made everything taste / like blood / made everything sound / like the barrel of a gun / made everything / shift / like tectonic plates / setting off an earthquake inside of me / i was never in love in with a person / yet my heart has / been / broken