He'll Never Know Our Grandparents | Teen Ink

He'll Never Know Our Grandparents

December 3, 2016
By MariaRAllen GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
MariaRAllen GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of Realities that are not seen." ~Hebrews 11:1


He’ll never get the slobbery ‘doggy kisses’ she gave that we all pretended to hate.
He’ll never know what it is like to be taught how to play checkers by the lovely wild flower, by her..
He’ll never know how calming and blissful it was to play teaparty with her, how no matter how girly it seemed, it was the thing most looked forward to during our visits.


He’ll never know what it feels like, with giggles flying through the air, to fly away in the swing, our pretend spaceship. What it felt like to soar with him to the moon, how funny his complaints about the small rock in space were.
He’ll never have a smile spread so far across his face at his clever cheery jokes, or how many failed attempts it would take to best him at them.
He’ll never taste the fresh chocolaty taste of the Ande’s mints he stocked in his fridge.


Though…


He’ll never know the pain at seeing her slowly lose her mind, imagining things, scared, losing herself at the seams.
He’ll never feel the helplessness at knowing she couldn’t remember us anymore.
He’ll never know what it’s like to see the person he trusts so completely, to see her so fragile and broken.
He’ll never have his heart squeezed so hard, he felt as if he was drowning, once she was finally gone.


He’ll never know the horror of realizing that his best friend, that he wouldn’t be able to talk.
He’ll never understand the tears and sobs lost at his fading sanity.
He’ll never get to see the perfect picture ripped straight down the middle, and his heart, at the most untimely time, decide to childishly mimic it.
He’ll never know that it felt like walking on miles and miles of broken glass and lost hope, realizing, that he was going to go soon. Just. Like. Her.


The author's comments:

This peice is dedicated to my baby brother, my late grandmother, and my grandfather who is slowly following bin his wifes footsteps.