To: Winter Nights | Teen Ink

To: Winter Nights

By AlinaMC SILVER, Exeter, New Hampshire
AlinaMC SILVER, Exeter, New Hampshire

To: Winter Nights
I miss steaming mugs of hot chocolate with the tiny white marshmallows that float on top and fluffy-as-a-cloud whipped cream that lazily dissolves.
The minty aroma of crumbled candy cane chunks that lay sprinkled delicately on top.
I miss warm blankets.
And cozy nights snuggled up by the fireplace with a good book.
The kind of nights that only you can bring.
I miss the wondrous sight of your snow flurries, the way the air swirls around me, consuming me, embracing me.  Inviting me to join your world.  I could get lost in moments like those.
I want to feel your cold winds biting against my cheeks, making my eyes water with tears that freeze mid-trickle.
I want to see the twinkle of the stars, cutting through your crisp air with a blade fiercer than that of the sharpest knife,
And tree branches that glisten with your snow, a breathtaking beauty that I have since forgotten.
I long to remember the taste of warm gingerbread,  soft and fresh out of the oven.
The way it melts on my tongue.
I yearn to recall the stark contrast of a red cardinal’s wing against a backdrop of frost and pine.
A true winter wonderland.
I can almost hear it now.  The crackle of frozen twigs underfoot.  The soft whistle of the raw winds.  Almost.  But not quite.
I think back to the feeling of your security,
The knowledge that even when ice is there to make me slip,
Soft, fluffy snow is there to cushion my fall.
I do not want to forget you.
So please, return.
I want to see again, know again, feel again.
Even though you are not here yet,
I know you are on your way.
I will wait and continue to look forward to your familiar presence,
To your blissfully fresh days,
And delightfully chilling nights.
I will keep waiting.
I will see you soon, Winter.
From: Me.