A father | Teen Ink

A father

By intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas
intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person." - Paper Towns, John Green

To the man who was supposed to raise me,
         It's been fourteen years since I last saw you. It's been fourteen years since you made an effort. Fourteen years ago when I was born you decided that you didn't want a girl. You decided not to change my diapers, hold me while I was crying, feed me, or most importantly be a dad. What you did decide though was to go out one night and get intoxicated only to be put in jail and call my mom to bail you out but that was her final straw so we left. After we left you decided that it didn't matter if you made an effort so you stopped but I suppose you decided that sending child support was enough. Two years later you had another child but this one was a boy. A boy, what you wanted since day one but the difference between me and him is that you stayed around in his life to be his father but you couldn't be mine. The boy is probably twelve almost thirteen just like I'm almost fifteen. I guess you thought you could only raise one and not the other or did you grow up in those two years? But I guess it doesn't matter anymore because to you I don't exist but I can't escape you because I look just like you. From the face to my hair to my tallness to my weight to my voice to my quietness. You're their everyday in the mirror but you aren't here raising the person you helped create. So I guess I'll end this here with a Happy Father's Day to the man who was supposed to raise me.
              - The daughter who you forgot