Who You Are

They hide behind masks,
Of powders and creams and mascara.
Have you ever asked
Who you really are?

You are not your wardrobe,
Or the reflection in the mirror.
You are not who you hang out with,
Or all the accessories you hold dear.

Are you to tell me
Beautiful is all you want to be?
Do you really think
Beauty is only what you can see?

You are far more than powders and creams,
Have you looked on the inside?
You are your hopes and dreams,
And everything you keep in your mind.

You are the songs stuck in your head,
And the imprints on your heart.
If you really want to know yourself,
You must take yourself apart.

Look at what you believe,
And the way you speak.
Pay to attention to how you treat overs,
At how you help the weak.

Do you try to stay positive,
And always have a smile?
Or are you cynical,
And never go the extra mile?

Look into your heart,
Past the powder and mascara.
Pull the pieces apart,
And discover who you are.

tigerlilyorangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 17 at 5:06 pm
I love the pattern of the 3rd stanza... well done. You say "They" in the beginning, but switch quickly to "You." In the 5th stanza, "stuck" is unnecessary, and "imprints on your heart" is cliche. However, it rhymes well, so what if you said something like "You are the songs in your head/ the imprints behind eyes/ If you really knew yourself/ you'd let go of this disguise?? just a suggestion :P Consider rhyming the last stanza, as you have done such a great job in the rest of the poem!!

hwoodruff98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 4:33 pm
The message behind this poem is classic, and I think you handled it well. The rhyme scheme gives it a nice rhythm. I especially liked the turn in the poem where you start listing things that are more than skin-deep. This is a strong piece; nice job! (I do want to just let you know that in the 6th stanza, you used the word "overs" when I think you meant to type "others.")