Bus Trip of a Black God This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Skinny, black man
Cruising on the Valley Metro
Rambling on about black God, black heaven, black Savior, black world
I listen to what he says for half an hour.
I’m intrigued.
I put my headphones away
And listen …
Every so often, he hums
“Hhhmmmm”
And when he does you don’t see it coming
It makes you feel good inside.
“Hhhmmmm”
When you think it’s not over, he rings the bell
Ring, ring
The bus stops
He’s gone as quickly as he came.

KingMob said...
I really like this poem. A lot, or at least some, of these comments were upset because the man talked about a black god, saying no one knows what color God is. I interpreted your poem as about the personal nature of god; everyone has their own thoughts about god, and the man on the bus expressed his.

Jesusandwordsfanatic replied...
i agree in a way, but I do have to say one thing...yes...it's true that many people interpret God (capital g since there is only one true God) ,but like I said there's only one true God so there can only be one true interpretation; the interpretation of the Bible. (in case you hadn't noticed I am a very strong Baptist Christian lol) I do agree with you though that the man simply stated his opinion...i hope that's not the author's opinion though...if so, whoever you are, I will be praying for you... (more »)

Th3k!DWr!tE5 said...
I find this piece quite interestin it paints nice picture in my mind and reveals message that is great. Great Job!!! comment on mine plz

AndThisIsReal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm sorry but I dont like this very much at all.
Let me start by saying I am open minded and excepting of all people, doesnt matter the gender, race, oreintation, ect.
But.....
I don't understand why you would be intrigued by the ramblings of a man going on about the race of god, the saviour, ect.
No one knows what God actaully looks like, it shouldn't be the face of God that is intriguing, but instead what he is and has done.
Thats whats important.
E... (more »)

Andrnick replied...
I agree with you because this poem isn't creative; it's more of thought-provoking and mysterious so I'd rate this a 1.

ElisabethElizzLiz replied...
I dont agree with either of you. this poem isn't trying to put a face to god, it just tells about an experience on a bus. i rate this 5 out of 5.

TheCheezWiz said...
this is one of the best poems I've read on here. bravo! I can't describe it with words, it's just too hard. :)

CutiePie said...
I LOVE THIS POEM IT WAS WONDERFUL.

sminor09 said...
I love the images you poem brings into my mind. It brings me back into a time when the past was just as interesting as the present. And it was really well written. Awesome stuff

Eryn F. said...
One of the things I really like about this poem is the way it ends so abruptly- like it's drawing a connection to the abrupt end of the man's one sided conversation. In my view, the things that make a poem are good imagery and a good ending, and this poem has both.
Thanks for publishing it!

lonewolf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
if this means what i think it means then i love it! this kind of topic is mysterious, but worth thinking about. I love the way you depicted it.

Ajanae D. said...
Its so frustrating to me that I cant grasp the meaning of this poem. I've been rereading it for the last 10 minutes and still...nothing. Can you please explain?

Fataldoseofirony said...
this is a very good poem, leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat wondering what exactly is the meaning, what happens in the end. if you have the time check out my poems. i'm new to the site so i could use some constructive criticism.

CloudedCrystal said...
Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:55 am
As I am CloudedCrystal, I love things with mystery, and this was it. Deep. Weather who believes in god or not, and what race, this poem remains DEEP. I FEEL it. From one so clouded, ur good. To evoke the kind of feedback that u do, u must be good.

Porsha C. said...
I completely understand where you are coming from on this one. People of today base God on what we want to be.
That is sort of how it is actually. People of today, wanting only things to be seen their way. Oh o course no one would actually admit to it but it is ntirely true.
I do ike this poem. Very outspoken. Not most would do this type of writing without a second though of judgement. I do like this, very different. Its govermental and yet has society involved. As if you were simpl... (more »)

akissi D. said...
i really love the story and emotions u are trying to drop

peace1994 said...
Mar. 28, 2009 at 1:41 am
ok heres the thing its wierd and good i mean the first time i read it i thought it was a waste of my time but then the second time it hit me hard antiways its one of those love or hate poems and ili. oh hey wrld

Czar.Twon said...
i like,
God is whatever you want him to be
red, blue, black, or red....
its how you see him
me personally being African American
i would see God as being black too...

Ndianko A. said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 11:52 am
This is an odd pice and unfortunateley i dont understand it but i guess its okish

sondheimfreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is weird, but good. Maybe because I'm white, I don't get the meaning being this, but it is very interesting and good.

VanDeman said...
perhaps I didn't understand the poem but I took black in the literal since of ethnicity and I find this poem to be either slightly racist or perhaps very sinister.