Your Chair | Teen Ink

Your Chair

October 26, 2015
By Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington
Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington
16 articles 0 photos 3 comments


I knew every soul would taste it but didn’t expect it to happen so soon or at least to you.
See part of you still feels like its stuck here and doesn’t want to go.
I can feel your very presence buried within my bones, watch them shake and shiver as they fall to your chair.
Your chair, the one that’s as old as time with wrinkles and lines so deep you drown over and over again.
Again, I look and see that chair in an ever longing gaze
With that very gaze I trace its every curve, twist and spin, deep within as it dances across a broken brown so rich that the earth might just claim it
See I’ve passed that chair more times than I could count. Some days with a smile, others with a glance or just by chance, but now my eyes won’t leave it.
Why? Because it was your chair, the one’d fall asleep on when days stretched too long, or on nights you worked too hard.
You left your print of food stains and smiles spilled across. And if you listen closely your laughter still echoes beneath the crusty cushion.
Now I’m here left alone, with this very chair that holds me with regret.
See, you know it well the very last words from me to you. If I was given the chance I’d swallow them back and never even let them touch my tongue.
Those words play in my mind on constant replay and every time they do I fall.
I fall; to my knees and land on that chair with my head shaking in disbelief so many times I can feel it breaking my spine.
See those last words were this: Why don’t you ever get off that chair and do something.
And for the first time you listened but now I’d do all in my power just to see you sit in that chair once more.
One more time please, but this time stay seated.