All I Need Is a Friend MAG

By Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

on Feb. 25 2009 at 1:10 pm
~SennaRae~ BRONZE, Lapeer, Michigan
I've got alot of friends and trust me, they're not all they're cracked up to be. You have to remember names they give you and problems that have occured... it's tiring! One friend would probably be so much better but with one comes more and more... if you get a social friend!

With friends you also have to watch what you say or risk loosing them and then again if you lost them over a tiff then they weren't good friends to begin with.

Maybe I'm just cynical because I've been through this but basically I'm telling you, be careful what you wish for!

on Feb. 24 2009 at 9:08 pm
Miss.Bliss1 BRONZE, Scotsburn, Other
Pepole can be such idiots sometimes. I get bullyed at school and there all just such jerks.

Thanks for makeing me not feel so alone.

Thanks for let'in me know I'm not the only one who gets bullyed out there.

Don't let them get to you.

Just yell and scream at them.

If pepole R buggin u u dam we'll better STICK UP FO YO SELF! I learnt the hard way that you can't let it get worse and worse!..DO SOMETHING!

YourFriend said...
on Feb. 24 2009 at 2:05 pm
I'll be your friend. I love meeting new people and the ppl. who laugh at you are just so jealous of what you have and they envy you. Don't worry about them. If they want be your friends, you have God.

joise30 said...
on Feb. 22 2009 at 4:53 am
joise30, Bronx, New York
I will be your friend i fell soory for you. this made me cry you have a very good hearta and the kids who bother you are just plain dum ok. keep writing

on Feb. 21 2009 at 9:12 pm
Readalot101 BRONZE, Nowhere, Kentucky
That was so touching!!! I feel that sometimes I can really relate to it!!!I had a good pattern!!!

on Feb. 21 2009 at 5:59 pm
Muh-ree-uh PLATINUM, Springboro, Ohio

"This one's for the girls who have ever had a broken heart, who have wished upon a shooting star, you're beautiful the way you are..."
-Martina McBride

WOW!!! That was really great! I loved it! Keep up the great work!!! You are an awesome writer!

hurleygirlie said...
on Feb. 20 2009 at 2:40 am
I really love this poem! I like it because it shows the stuggle of trying to fit in in school and of laking friends!

mads04 SILVER said...
on Feb. 19 2009 at 2:08 am
mads04 SILVER, Frederick, Maryland
your writing reminds me of ellen hopkins. you should read her book impulse.

but anyway besides that you have a real insight for what a person goes through to be even just recognized in high school. so nice job.

mah4angel said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 11:36 pm
I usually don't write poetry about myself, usually I don't even write poetry about other people. But, I do use my imagination to create stories I think would be sad or happy or any kind of emotion. Usually poems that I do that with are the most thought-provoking and intense ones because I can make up things that sound really bad or really happy but are just unrealistic. I hope someday I can take myself back from that and create poetry about real-life problems like this one.

momoney said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 8:25 pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. You guys are all great.

on Feb. 18 2009 at 6:43 am
This is great! If it were about you, it'd be more personal, but WOW, I honestly thought it was! Loved it! Keep writing! Lettie

on Feb. 18 2009 at 4:25 am
writingis4ever PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
wow. great poem.

on Feb. 18 2009 at 3:28 am
ok, initial reaction to your poem? wow, this is really good. I bet a lot of people can relate to this. I was right, I guess, and THEN I saw your (author? momoney?) comments and I was like HUH. He's not rly like this. BUT THEN, I realized that you are being compassionate and kudos a million times for that. excellent and srry if this comment box is forever long. ;)

crocomeg12 said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 1:41 am
This poem is super great. I also love to read which is why it caught my eye. I hope you find a friend :)

on Feb. 16 2009 at 1:20 am
Raid2bcool GOLD, Visalia, California

"People may not be able to get to the top because of who they are.... but they ARE able to do what IS at the top."

i love this poem... it really is heartbreakening an i wish i could be ur friend... i'm even using this poem in my poem collction for english... i have to do an evaluation on it so if i get an a on my poetry collection... part of it is because of your work... thanx

on Feb. 15 2009 at 9:09 pm
TinyVessel GOLD, Mantua, Ohio
This poem evoked a lot of emotion in me. I'll be your friend!

Duckie430 said...
on Feb. 15 2009 at 3:13 pm
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

this is really good

on Feb. 15 2009 at 2:35 am
ImDumbStruck DIAMOND, Springfield, Virginia

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy any evidence."

this is really cool. i have the same problem

tweedle dee said...
on Feb. 15 2009 at 12:08 am
hey yah i agree with luke sadness inspires better poetry than happiness for me. some people write good happy poems. this was great its awesome that you can speak from another persons point of veiw! hope that they find a freind though, been in that situation before and it sucks!

Mrz.Shante16 said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 6:19 pm
I really like your poem.It's interesting to me.Sometimes i feel like that even though i have friends.I just want somebodi my size i guess.I'm big not skinny like u .I want ya size but not that skinny and you want mine but not that big

Love the way you speak your words.

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!