All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

kitkatl4833423 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:18 am:
This piece definitly relatets to me. Not fitting in definitly hurts and poetry is a great way to let out things that are on your mind. Keep up the good work!

B5.GRL said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm:
OMG this poem is Amazing i sooo have to print this in my skewl i am in the 'in crowd' but smetimes i feel lyke none of them really no who i am

project827 said...
Mar. 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm:
holy crap, man. I'm going to print this, frame it, and hang it up in my room. I love it, absolutely love it.

silver said...
Mar. 14, 2009 at 8:31 pm:
im not exactly in the "in" crowd either,and im a strait a student too, but somehow i always get friends(honest i dont know how i get them)if any of the poets want to email with somebody im open

getit69 said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm:
This poem is the opposite of me and i can see exactly where your coming from, i understand because i have a friend who is the same way so this is really nice to see someone is speaking out.

KittKat1119 said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:19 pm:
This poem is amazing itz almost the way i feel itz to your heart and i love that great poem.And remember that your better than anyone so if u dont love u how will u ever love some1 else

MikaLestat said...
Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm:
I loved this poem! And I was touched by it I'm always here if you need a friend! -Mika Lestat- p.s. check out my poems!

Ivonna R. said...
Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:18 am:
WOW. I really really like this. I love the way you write. Im gonna try to write like that too.

I truly do cherish friends and the people you can spend timw with. becuase without that theres really nothing else that truly matters.

but maybe you could join some clubs or teams if you really want to meet people! dont be afriad to speak up and join the conversation!

good work!

Mary B. said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm:
this is an awesome poem. i can tell that the person in this poem, be it you or another, is looking for friendship, but is this person truly unhappy with their life?

Heylola2 said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:35 am:
Thatz really good!!
=P

billy b. said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 10:59 pm:
sometimes i feel like you but i dont get straight a's i would be your friend if you will be mine.

Christina This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 4, 2009 at 12:37 pm:
Aw, this has good feeling. I'm sad for you, which means that this is a good poem.

punksnowboarder said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 11:59 pm:
Awsome Poem dewd!

kissingdawn331 said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 8:11 pm:
hey i understand..i'll be your friend but iguess that's what everyone says when they never get to know people...to me though the out side does not matter...friends don't care.

Kathy B. said...
Mar. 3, 2009 at 2:51 am:
I Like How Every One Is Like, I'll Be Your Friend :]
Makes Me Smile.

But Anywho.
I was just gonna say, nice poem.
It's True.But You Know.
Life Is What You Make It :]

phineas<3'sme said...
Feb. 28, 2009 at 10:34 pm:
wow...that was so...true. it was like i was talking to you. awww. i'll,be your friend, though

keepin it real said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 5:09 pm:
This is the best poem I've read in my entire life. Keep writing poems, and I'll be your friend.

Huntress said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 2:14 pm:
This is a fantastic poem. Maybe you do need a friend. Or, perhaps, you are perfect in your solitary world. Anyway, if you do need a friend, there are many people out there who will love you for you. Look. Good Luck, and keep up hope.

~SennaRae~ said...
Feb. 25, 2009 at 1:10 pm:
I've got alot of friends and trust me, they're not all they're cracked up to be. You have to remember names they give you and problems that have occured... it's tiring! One friend would probably be so much better but with one comes more and more... if you get a social friend!
With friends you also have to watch what you say or risk loosing them and then again if you lost them over a tiff then they weren't good friends to begin with.
Maybe I'm just cynical because I... (more »)

Miss.Bliss1 said...
Feb. 24, 2009 at 9:08 pm:
Pepole can be such idiots sometimes. I get bullyed at school and there all just such jerks.
Thanks for makeing me not feel so alone.
Thanks for let'in me know I'm not the only one who gets bullyed out there.
Don't let them get to you.
Just yell and scream at them.
If pepole R buggin u u dam we'll better STICK UP FO YO SELF! I learnt the hard way that you can't let it get worse and worse!..DO SOMETHING!