All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

DarkestShadowInHell said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 12:33 am
I can relate to the emotion in this poem. That's saying something because I've been to the deepest parts of hell and back. Your words flow smoothly, it seems. They aren't sharp and broken like writing seems to be these days. Keep writing from your heart.

writingis4ever said...
this is an amazing poem :]

Mickala W. said...
Books Fill my room too. And friends arent really all that great. all you really need is one friend. One that will like/love you for you and not what you wear or how much money you have. YOu are a great writer. Keep writing. =)

MexicanBarbie said...
Nice poem
I liked it
It was funny and serious
Nice!

yrmom222 said...
I really think that this poem would have maybe been more effective if you didnt use so many stereotypes. And "stupid parents"
you should be happy to have that $50 a week for lunch. WE'RE IN A RECESSION!!

Katie D. said...
Apr. 2, 2009 at 12:15 am
Wow, I totally relate to you. Such a true poem.

YouAsInMe? said...
I loved this poem. Really made me think. Remember, those people that are jerks to you are so stupid. Don't let them get you down. And clothing shows nothing about a person. end of story.

ckalani said...
Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:29 am
That was very discreptive. Very touching too! Tell me what you think of my work ... please!

CloudedCrystal said...
Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:23 am
Woa. Dude, this is awesome. I can TOTALY understand what this guy feels...y'know, aside from bein rich and all! lol. When your writing can relate to ppl, u know its good!

silence said...
wow ..this touched me ...and i would be your friend ..in many ways ..i can relate to this ..yet in others i cant ..but keep writng ..you will
inspire other ppl too ..telling
them their not alone ....their not the only ones with problems and perhaps they will begin to see the world diffent

teenpoet said...
That is an awesome topic for a poem. I feel that way to sometimes.

Sheebs said...
This is probably the best poem I have ever read. I use to feel like this until I stopped letting people's words get into my head. Now I stand tall and nobody says anything but good things about me now. Keep writing you've got a great talent! :)

Miaoru said...
AWESOME!

lovedjny said...
God, this is exactly how I feel... Glad someone understands :)

bucket_of_sorrows said...
That was sooooo beautiful.

ElizabethS. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your poem was really great, and it made me think a lot of my own life. (I guess that's not very original, but it's true.) My parents aren't rich, and I only barely make straight A's, but I am a huge bookworm, and even though I have a few friends, I always feel like a fifth wheel around them, that they don't really want me. Anyhow, it's disheartening. How can we fix it?

Iz77 said...
Wow I really like this poem it's good and it just expresses feeling

kitkatl4833423 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:18 am
This piece definitly relatets to me. Not fitting in definitly hurts and poetry is a great way to let out things that are on your mind. Keep up the good work!

B5.GRL said...
OMG this poem is Amazing i sooo have to print this in my skewl i am in the 'in crowd' but smetimes i feel lyke none of them really no who i am

project827 said...
holy crap, man. I'm going to print this, frame it, and hang it up in my room. I love it, absolutely love it.