All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

ckalani said...
Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:29 am:
That was very discreptive. Very touching too! Tell me what you think of my work ... please!

CloudedCrystal said...
Mar. 29, 2009 at 1:23 am:
Woa. Dude, this is awesome. I can TOTALY understand what this guy feels...y'know, aside from bein rich and all! lol. When your writing can relate to ppl, u know its good!

silence said...
Mar. 28, 2009 at 11:10 pm:
wow ..this touched me ...and i would be your friend ..in many ways ..i can relate to this ..yet in others i cant ..but keep writng ..you will
inspire other ppl too ..telling
them their not alone ....their not the only ones with problems and perhaps they will begin to see the world diffent

teenpoet said...
Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:19 pm:
That is an awesome topic for a poem. I feel that way to sometimes.

Sheebs said...
Mar. 25, 2009 at 9:25 pm:
This is probably the best poem I have ever read. I use to feel like this until I stopped letting people's words get into my head. Now I stand tall and nobody says anything but good things about me now. Keep writing you've got a great talent! :)

Miaoru said...
Mar. 22, 2009 at 5:30 pm:
AWESOME!

lovedjny said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm:
God, this is exactly how I feel... Glad someone understands :)

bucket_of_sorrows said...
Mar. 19, 2009 at 11:34 pm:
That was sooooo beautiful.

ElizabethS. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 19, 2009 at 12:35 pm:
Your poem was really great, and it made me think a lot of my own life. (I guess that's not very original, but it's true.) My parents aren't rich, and I only barely make straight A's, but I am a huge bookworm, and even though I have a few friends, I always feel like a fifth wheel around them, that they don't really want me. Anyhow, it's disheartening. How can we fix it?

Iz77 said...
Mar. 18, 2009 at 11:34 pm:
Wow I really like this poem it's good and it just expresses feeling

kitkatl4833423 said...
Mar. 17, 2009 at 1:18 am:
This piece definitly relatets to me. Not fitting in definitly hurts and poetry is a great way to let out things that are on your mind. Keep up the good work!

B5.GRL said...
Mar. 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm:
OMG this poem is Amazing i sooo have to print this in my skewl i am in the 'in crowd' but smetimes i feel lyke none of them really no who i am

project827 said...
Mar. 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm:
holy crap, man. I'm going to print this, frame it, and hang it up in my room. I love it, absolutely love it.

silver said...
Mar. 14, 2009 at 8:31 pm:
im not exactly in the "in" crowd either,and im a strait a student too, but somehow i always get friends(honest i dont know how i get them)if any of the poets want to email with somebody im open

getit69 said...
Mar. 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm:
This poem is the opposite of me and i can see exactly where your coming from, i understand because i have a friend who is the same way so this is really nice to see someone is speaking out.

KittKat1119 said...
Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:19 pm:
This poem is amazing itz almost the way i feel itz to your heart and i love that great poem.And remember that your better than anyone so if u dont love u how will u ever love some1 else

MikaLestat said...
Mar. 12, 2009 at 8:47 pm:
I loved this poem! And I was touched by it I'm always here if you need a friend! -Mika Lestat- p.s. check out my poems!

Ivonna R. said...
Mar. 8, 2009 at 1:18 am:
WOW. I really really like this. I love the way you write. Im gonna try to write like that too.

I truly do cherish friends and the people you can spend timw with. becuase without that theres really nothing else that truly matters.

but maybe you could join some clubs or teams if you really want to meet people! dont be afriad to speak up and join the conversation!

good work!

Mary B. said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm:
this is an awesome poem. i can tell that the person in this poem, be it you or another, is looking for friendship, but is this person truly unhappy with their life?

Heylola2 said...
Mar. 6, 2009 at 3:35 am:
Thatz really good!!
=P