All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the March 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

HUDAZ said...
I LUV THAT POEM SO COOL! i know just what you feel! i sort of need a friend myself. lonely teenager... :C

booksarelife4me said...
That was really great!!!! Amazing poem!!
I'll be your friend!!!

Sydney K. said...
This poem is totally relatable. Sometimes, I try as hard as I can, and still feel totally alone. But I see, a lot of people feel that too. Sometimes, I feel like my best friends are book characters- the ones I can trust, the ones that will always be there for me when I need to slip away from reality. It's a beautiful poem, and you have to recognize that if you give your best and are still not accepted, maybe its because you're better than them.

soac09 said...
Aug. 22, 2009 at 1:41 am:
totally know where you're coming from.

sania S. said...
aww so sad. ill be ur friend how about we talk about it.

Amanda said...
I'll be your friend.

jen9193 said...
i love this poem so much, i actually searched for it because i just love the reality in it. I know so many kids that fit that exact description. Keep up the good work!

Chelyse D. said...
Jul. 30, 2009 at 4:29 pm:
This Is A Very Nice Poem.! Keep Up The Good Work.

MoyruhJO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2009 at 1:29 am:
Aww, this amazing :] I just read your comment about how this about other kids, and that just says volumes about your talent.

nerd4eva said...
Jun. 17, 2009 at 1:41 am:
I cant realy relate but there have been times in which i feel alone. im sure that one day ull find that friend ur looking 4. it might all happen on 1 of those trips 2 the library. dont 4get there is always sum1 out there 4 evry1.keep looking <3

inktouch said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 1:48 pm:
I'll be a friend! ^_^ But, seriously, ur rich.... uv the poem, its not everyday i c a guy writing a poem this good

Valkyrie_123 said...
Jun. 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm:
i think this is the most heart warming piece of poetry i have every read

myworld15 said...
Jun. 14, 2009 at 5:35 am:
wow that was really great. i so understand the book parts. The workers at my libary know me very well too. Books are the carriers of civilization.

Kiersten.p.o said...
Jun. 11, 2009 at 4:36 pm:
hey! um, people like to comment much? LOL! any ways, your poem is absolutley amazing!! even though its not about you, i understand completly. i can't compete with 4 books a day, but i can read 2 and then maybe half of a book. as soon as i read this poem, i could totally relate. beeing the bookworm, nerdy type is sum times not the easiest spot to filll but sum 1 needs to fill it up!! and i think you got the emotion just rite. i luv your wording thoughts.
sorry 4 the mumble jumble of me b... (more »)

momoney25 said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:16 am:
You all are great. The interesting part about this poem is that it doesn't relate to my personality style at all. In fact, I resemble the complete opposite.

The reason I can relate to this poem so well is because I am the guy who extends a hand to someone who needs a friend. Still, all your comments are very heart felt and appreciated.

kionna C. said...
Jun. 6, 2009 at 3:45 pm:
i have friends but they still dont really feel like the friends i want!
but dont worry, you'll get your friends. Maybe you'll meet someone at the library one day

nxexnxaxj said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 11:22 pm:
this is a lot of feelin, i def. can relate, 2 yrs back i was the same way, but u have 2 put yourself out dere
great piece hunn =]

Kit-Kat said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:48 pm:
I know there are soo many comments on here you may not see this, but I hope you do. Great job, is all I can say, but still... my gratitude cannot be expressed in one comment! lol. I suffer like that constantly, and it is nice to see AMAZING authors-to-be like you put there skills to use in the right way!

bookwormdg said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 7:02 pm:
Love this!!!!! Everyone is mean to me just the same. I understand that if i say "i know wat ure going through", then i'll be just like everyone else. I've been there done that. Kids make fun of me,

Olympians said...
Jun. 3, 2009 at 6:51 pm:
that was a great poem. I would def. be your friend. Just be like me don't care what people think of you. It's life everyone goes threw good and bad times. and Some people will regret not being your friend one day:]