All I Need Is a Friend | Teen Ink

All I Need Is a Friend MAG

By Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

BMMSJB said...
on Mar. 1 2010 at 10:38 am
I can relate to this COMPLETELY, no I don't use designer clothes but yes.

bmmsKp said...
on Mar. 1 2010 at 10:34 am
this is great and i can relate to it very much but idk y im like this but its fine with me

amira SILVER said...
amira SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"ima kraken the sea'-juno

i can completely relate..this is really brilliant:)

AMCLRIDCA PLATINUM, CDA, Idaho

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away.

I really enjoyed this poem. It is really down to earth, And i know how you feel. I can relate. If you ever need someone to talk to you can write me if youd like. Keep writing, your good!

on Feb. 22 2010 at 11:05 am
Toree Knoke BRONZE, Belgrade, Montana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
i loved your poem i kinda know how you feel all people want to do is be someone that other people like the person that we are inside is who we are it dosnt matter the type of clothing or designer that we wear its the person under the clothes that we need to take care of even when we feel as if we have know friends i really enjoyed your poem i even have one on the website tell me what you think

1999...

Payton SILVER said...
on Feb. 20 2010 at 11:23 am
Payton SILVER, Howells, Nebraska

Be yourself because that's whats really cool.

wow this really touched me. you should read some of my poems and see what you think and if you need someone to talk to you can write me anytime.

Kristy_loves_Keats PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
wow nice poem you should read my poems!

Ellie.M. PLATINUM, Santa Paula, California
wow this is really good.! I have a lot of poems that are like this please check them out and tell me how u like them.! :)

Rob B. said...
Yo, you got some talent mt frined. I am not the biggest fan of poetry but this really mad me interested. Keep writing youll get far in life! GREAT JOB! :]

celticreader BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee

"Three men can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." -Benjamin Franklin

really great for relating to people! especially those kids out there who think no one could ever be teir friend and theyre wrong cause there is always someone!

thecatscuriosity BRONZE, Allen, Texas

People tend to go where life takes them, but what they dont realise is life can only go as far as you take it.- Tyler Redlich

This is amazing

on Feb. 17 2010 at 8:33 am
SoulSurvivor92 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
I like this poem. You accept who you are and you know what you want. Someone will be lucky to have you as a friend because this poems tells many things about you. Keep your head up and someone will accept and love you for yourself.

on Feb. 17 2010 at 1:21 am
Acalleq PLATINUM, Togiak, Alaska

you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

i love your honesty, sometimes it feels like you need to exaggerate to get liked. but you seem to be doing alright with the many offers of friendship. :) in my hometown when ppl look at me they see the "bookworm" and the "loner". And sometimes the only way i can console myself is diving headlong into a world where i become invisible, where reality is a forgotten dream. keep it up, this poem really spoke to me.

Tay-tay said...
I would be your friend you sound amazing your writting is beautiful!

I've never none a guy to write like you it moved me. x i wish you all the best with finding a friend really good luck x

lowlaa BRONZE said...
lowlaa BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Yes, yes I did steal my mom's watch and she was very TICKED off when it was broken. HAHAHA- Good Time #201

Oh fooey. Is this really you? Well for starters (if this is you) try different things. Right now, or the next time your home, try making a very unique/disgusting/personal meal and eat every last bit of it. Slowly start doing more things that are out of your comfort zone, and slowly (yes slowly! Pretty flowers don't grow overnight!) you will push your limits. Thus giving you more staisfaction and fufillment in your lonesome life. And maybe, just maybe, you'll meet some special people along the way!

PeaveLoveMe SILVER, Deland, Florida

"I shall never give up, make believe is too much fun."

amazing writing skills! keep writing! <3 it! plz read mine and comment? i'd love any feedback or advice you could give me! (:

Alyssathenerd:D, Easton, Pennsylvania

A moment being upset or angry is a minute that we could all be happy. I believe that everything happens for a reason and people shouldnt let anything bring them down. live, laugh, love , and dream because it could all be over in any second.

This poem is great and it totally fits my life.

aww i love you and ill be yo fand! babygrl7609@aol .com eee-mail me ! lol btw great job on the poem its very touching

on Feb. 9 2010 at 9:35 am
Keyakyo PLATINUM, Nortonville, Kansas

People die...so love them everyday. Beauty fades...so look before it's gone. Love changes...but not the love you give. And if you love, you'll never be alone.

I know how you feel I get made fun of all the time for reading excessivley and for my clothing styles which I admit are sometimes a little eccentric. But I also wear glasses, get good grades, and try to fit in, and it's really hard to do. I feel your pain, and I'll be your friend. By the ways, your poem is amazing!!!!

on Feb. 8 2010 at 11:05 am
i luv ur naruto pic