All I Need Is a Friend | Teen Ink

All I Need Is a Friend MAG

By Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

smartie31 GOLD said...
on Apr. 1 2010 at 12:23 am
smartie31 GOLD, Troy, New York

♥ Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to go, its learning to dance in the rain ♥
-anonymous

oh this poem is great.im sure alot of people can relate .great job :)

emo_nerd951 BRONZE, Clover, South Carolina

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." -unknown

O my gosh that was amazing and I know the feeling of needing a friend.  I am here if you want a friend.

msztweetybabii PLATINUM, Mattapan, Massachusetts

"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true."- Natheniel Hawthorne.

you can write. I'll be your friend. And just so you know..you have a friend in Jesus..you know..and you probably have friends and you don't even know it

bloods GOLD said...
bloods GOLD, Oxford, Arkansas

lets ride!

I loved that poem it makes me cry. i would love to be your friend that was the best poem i have ever read.

Payton SILVER said...
Payton SILVER, Howells, Nebraska

Be yourself because that's whats really cool.

wow i loved it and if u need a friend im here i know how it is to have no one to talk to.

Payton SILVER said...
Payton SILVER, Howells, Nebraska

Wow i loved this poem and if u need a friend im here.

LightYagami BRONZE, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.", Buddha

Man dude that made me feel kinda sad...I'm sorry! I'd be your friend!

MCRlover2011 BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

Be yourself, don't take any one's (ugh they keep editing this T_T) shit and never let them take you alive!!!- Gerard Way

wow that's really good, i was listening to a song called high school low and i was like =O! perfect but yeah i liked it.. I'LL BE YOUR FRIEND!!

sharpquill DIAMOND, Brookfield, Wisconsin

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." - Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I love this poem. It's one of the few on this site that really caught me. I can't stop coming back to read it. You should definitely keep writing and posting, and if you ever feel lonely again - just look at all these comments!

celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia

Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

Oh my gosh, if I ever met you I'd sooo be your friend. I can relate to you so much. I've had straight A's all my life, I love books, and I'm dead pale (that may just be my Eastern European genes kicking in though). I don't have rich parents and people don't tease me (in the face), but I just want a real friend too, not the kinda sorta ones who aren't always there for me.

deardiary BRONZE, Saskatoon, Other

It is a truth universally acknowedged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -Pride and Prejudice

Omg, i luv u! U just summed up my life basicly. Its funny how a person can have it all except for the one thing that comes so easy to some.

RiaRen SILVER said...
RiaRen SILVER, New Bothwell, Other
k, so reading this almost made me cry. its not the first poem i've read about not fitting in to a certain place, but this one is almost like you were describing exactly what i feel sometimes. finding friends is tricky when your a science lovinig, book reading, plastic glasses type of person. thanks for writing this.

m.kelly said...
on Mar. 16 2010 at 11:54 am
i like this real good

hellogirl GOLD said...
hellogirl GOLD, La Habra, California
Yeah I know how it feels like to need friends it is hard sometimes I was in that type of cituation also in the past but luckily I always had faith that I would have friends someday and im happy that I did my advice to you is to never lose hope about having friends just believe that one day you will have a friend who will respect you for who you are:).

hip_nicole14 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading or do things worth writing.
-Benjamin Franklin

i love your poem, its really good. i have freinds, if you call them that. i move alot, and i just pretend to be like everyone else. yet they all believe my stupid lies. you should keep writting your really good at it.

on Mar. 12 2010 at 10:57 am
AnimeGirlOtaku101 BRONZE, Fultonville, New York

Soooooo ZETTA slooooow!!!

JordanBlue is right (by the way nice name JordanBlue)!!! He very well could be the most popular kid in school. You don't have to take your anger out on someone else's work, just because your angry about being made to make this account. By the way REEEAAALY nice poem, I for one LOVE it!!! I also really like the picture you chose for it. Naruto hugging a girl really goes with the poem. Your character is Naruto looking for a friend. REALLY AWESOME JOB!!! I will put this as one of my favorites! Really great job!!! =D

kat95 PLATINUM said...
kat95 PLATINUM, Bedford Hills, New York

Smile even through your tears
:)
*
*

Amazing poem! Hey, add me to your list of friends!

CoolBreeze PLATINUM, Winnemucca, Nevada

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~Mark Twain

Wow this poem describes me so much. It was really brave of you too share it. I know how it is to need a friend.

RyanDouglass GOLD, Geneva, Other

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss

This is a great poem. I can relate to it so much. And the people asking questions like "if you're rich, shouldn't you have friends?" just don't understand. It has nothing to do with wealthiness.

Good job on the poem. If I could be your friend, I would be, because I need one too.

superswim_19 PLATINUM, Grand Haven, Michigan
this poem is...... AWESOME! i think it is very hard to share your feelings in a poem and bravo for being brave enough to put this out. it is a really good poem!