All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

hamsa_prophet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Smooth, simple, and loaded with meaning. This is what poetry is supposed to be like. Good job, man!

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i'll be your friend :)
haha, with writing like this, you'll make it to the top!
keep up the awesome rythme and the symbols full of emotion. love it!
keep on doing what you do!

Lenaaa said...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:25 am
This is greatt<3

flushedmermaid said...
Sweet words dude. A shame for those kids. They're missing out a pretty cool kid :)

DirtySweatpants This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love how you don't fumble in symbolism and vagueness. The pureness and rawness undeniablely hits a nerve, at least with me, and the honesty in the subject matter. Cheer up you're a bad boy writer.

DirtySweatpants This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
PS its 1800 dollars

mpaul12 replied...
i like this poem

nikkichic said...
tht wuz reely good!_! u should write more i kinda found it a little sad:c but it wuz gooooooooooood

MiyaQuille This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 9:41 am
I really like how although it is a free verse poem, it isn't awkward and it reads like a story.

caughtinaxm0ment said...
I love this(:

***3Lli3*** said...
I love this its really good.!
Check out my work.. tell me how u like it :)

monkey said...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 10:34 am
I like this poem, and is real interesting.Andvery depresing

Cephei said...
I thought this peom was unique in the way that you really weren't afraid to express your feelings on how your life ought to be lived. You really summed up your need and I thought you portrayed your desperation quite nicely.

calephchad said...
I like this poem. Very depressing, but it's still just flat out great. I love the details and everything. This is definitely a 5 out of 5. You just really expressed the reality of being alone perfectly in great detail. Great job! If you would like, come and check out some of my work. I would recommend my poem called Autumn's Remembrance if you're interested in stopping by sometime and checking them out. Thanks. Amazing poem! Keep it up!

evelynloser said...
i like this maganize it is real interesting

mamakayla said...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 8:16 am
i loved reading your poem. it was very touching. i think that it just shows how much you need a friend and that you are will to wait for the right one who will like you instead of changing yourself

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's hard to be smart and find friends isn't it? You know, whats interesting is, the people who are smart are going to be leaders of this planet one day, and yet, many of them are some of the most unpopular people. I honestly wonder why sometimes. Greatjob with this poem.

RealLifeNightmare said...
THis got me wondering. I was always the smart kid in my school. I had the money, but no friends to rely on. I had one, but she never showed. So I have made a few friends over the years.

katelynhaley said...
i could be your friend.if you wanted me to be.

ShakingChandeliers replied...
I could too! :D