All I Need Is a Friend This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the February 2009 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
This is really adorable (: Can you check out some of my stuff?

yousaypotato... said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:30 am:
this was really raw and truthful. i can totally relate. (haha) sorry for the advertising...buuuuuuuutttt.....i really need some feedback on annnyyyy one of my poems...theyve got legit no comments....and ive got about 9 poems up...haha thanksss

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm :
same.  I'll check out some of yours, can you read a few of mine?

Tess213 said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm:
This is amazing. I know how hard it is to change the way people look on you. in school some get me but on my team no one does. im the stupid funny one that no one expects to have a thought in her brain. But i will be your friend. I know it feels like it wont matter since i wouldnt be with you when u face hards times but remember the world will keep revolving, and so will your life. <3

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:55 am:
It was was AWESOME!!! great job! (Sorry for advrertizing) I just wrote two stories called nightstalker and the beast. If anyone could check them out and post some comments and feedback that would be great. Thanks! and keep writing everybody! :)(:

Anneb325 said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 9:04 am:
If you really just need a friend, I'm here for you. If you ever need to talk about anything, just ask. It's okay. I'm a wonderful listener. And I know that sometimes people just need someone to listen and not talk their ear off and have someone there for them, to sit by them and comfort them in a time of need. If need be, through computer, I will do as best I can.

YoungRevelation8 said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm:
UNIQUE PIECE! Lovely write-up. Pls check out my poems, would really wanna hear all of u great teenink writers point of view. Would be lovely. HEAD TO THE WEST PIECE HERE  piece TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349259/Head-To-The-West/

MY LETTER TO JULIET PIECE! 
TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349256/MY-LETTER-TO-JULIET/

MY MISSING RIB PIECE! 
TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349126/My-Missing-Ri... (more »)

IndiewriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 2:13 am:
This is a really unique poem.(= It's sad...I'm sorry if it's true.

Laura_Oliver said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm:
Peoples! Check out my poem, "True Colors" if you like this, even though they are totally different, and make sure you comment!!!

Laura_Oliver said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm:
I know this is unlikely, but is this loosely based on experience? This poem sounds like an exaggerated description of a nerd.

TAR11 said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm:
Neat!  Please check out my poems From the Hilltop and Anonymous' Inferno if you get the chance.  Thanks! 

Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:53 pm:
Sometimes i feel like im drifting away from my best friend. She likes hanging out with other girls. . . I liked it alot though! I just wrote two stories called nightstalker and the beast. If any of u read them. make sure u post comments on if u liked them or not or if i should change anything. I enjoy the helpful feed back and writing tips. Thanks! :D

CeLiAbaby said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm:
This is a great poem.. it comes straight from the heart.. i'll be your friend!! i wont judge you(:

iDragonfly replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:55 am :
Great message!

AllysonMarie said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm:

I know how you feel. My only friend is my boyfriends, and even were drifting apart...

Great poem!

laughqueen96 said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm:
this is so so so, very beautiful. hands down favorite poem i've read.

LooknWonderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:01 am:
Yeah, I can relate. Right now I could really use a friend.

zone7494This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm:
this is a great poem and I can totally feel you on this poem

JLEIGH96 said...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm:
Really, this touched me I can understand what you mean about needing a friend every friend I have had has betrayed my trust and I was lonely for a while and still regret most of the friends i have now.

Lola_Black said...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm:
Wow, I wish my mom gave me fifty bucks just for lunch.