Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

WeAllBurn said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:09 am
I have commented on this poem, and rated it, at least ten times. I just love this. SO MUCH!

AmbRawr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much :') It's hard to keep up with all the comments but this means the world to me

alligator6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 6:43 am
This is the most beautiful poem I've ever read in my entire life. My dad passed this year so I understand some of the mysteries and the frustration when other people talk about their parents poorly. This poem is just so amazing. Fantastic job!

Missundrstoodx2 said...
Dec. 31, 2011 at 12:29 am
Stunning. Tearing up- if you can put such raw thoughts and emotions to paper like this, you can do anything. Your innocence and curiosity provides such an effective tone for this piece. I'm sure your mother is proud, always there watching over you. Maybe the answers to your questions will present themselves in different ways. Such a thought provoking piece. Not much has gotten through to me lately, so thanks. Good luck with everything

FrenchHippie said...
Absolutely beautiful and moving!

rolzpolz98 said...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:01 am
very touching.....a beautiful poem!

KianaBaker said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:31 am
This Is Beautiful

LetMeFeel said...
I cried so much after reading this. Amazing!

chantel15 said...
this poem is amazing , i cant relate to losing someone so close to me and its diffcult to adjust to them not being in your life anymore.when your use to them everyday.

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so heart-wrenching! Amazing job! I really like starting with "and" and then repeating it throughout. My only suggestion is that you might want to experiment with line breaks. But it's really a gorgeous poem :)

_emmadilemma_ said...
Beautiful! I love the idea of "looking through her glasses, to see what she saw" 

Katie-jo said...
This. Is. So. Sad. My mom almost died a few years ago...I remember seeing her in the hospital. She was asleep, and I remember being afraid to hold her hand...this poem makes me appreciate her more. You are a truly talented writer.

mmcknight said...
i know how you feel i lost my dad in 2007 and it has ben hard for me. but i know he is in heaven smiling down on me! great poem. loved it!

Supernaturaladdict said...
Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:47 am
One of my Favs!

MakenzieB. said...
Dec. 14, 2011 at 10:24 am
Amazing piece of work! I felt so much emotion in your words. It made me think about what my life would be like and how I would feel if my mother died (started crying at that point :P). Great choice or words! You are a very talented writer and you have earned my respect! 

EmoAngel18 said...
this poem made me realize how hard it is for my friends daughter. my friend is 16 and he has a daughter, her mother died a month after their daughter was born and now i try to take care of her and i try to spoil her as much as i can, although she is still a baby i know there will be a day tht she realizes her mom is gone. i try to be there for her as much as i can, i dont know how to handle this issue, im only 13

GoGreenGirl said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:13 am
This is such a gorgous poem.  It seriously brought a tear to my eye...  This really deserves to be published.  Keep writing poems.

MallikaS22 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely beautiful......

Sammi• said...
This make me feel so sad. It teaches me that I shouldn't take my mother for granted because, some people have a hole in their heart from a missing parent. :( sad story

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This is emotional and well written. I love your use of the word "and" by the way.

Could I have some people check out my work? All I have right now is a poem, Falling. Would love to hear some comments :)