Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

jahlieca said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 9:28 am
this is truly beautiful& sad. i don't know how it feels to not live with a mother but am dealing with the fact of helping my boyfriend through tough time because of the fact his dad died a week ago.

sasssgirrrl22 said...
wow. truly beautiful. sad, but very powerful

Love_Me_Not said...
Wow. Truly beautiful. I remember when my sister died hearing everyone talk about how they hated their siblings but, lik you mentioned, I would give anything to have my older sister with me now. I know now that you shouldn't walk away angry because when she left that last time, I felt horrible because I never know it would be the end. I know I can never know exactly how you feel (Even though this poem was truly moving). I can never imagine because people handle things differently. Stil... (more »)

blue_punk_pixie said...
Dec. 9, 2009 at 10:59 am
this poem made me realize that some people dont have mothers. sometimes i tell ppl i cant satnd my mom. but after reading this i realized that if she were to die i would go crazy. i really do love my mom a whole lot more

ElijahNoble said...
oh wow...I just took a real hard look at this poem..i can't..even imagine losing my mother. i would be devastated. this, is something out of this world. powerful, imaginary, yet so real, something so heartbreaking sitting right next to me, breathing on my neck. beautiful poem. but it brings sadness to those super happy. that's how good it is.

ElijahNoble said...
this is amazing. hey check out my first one, Anarchy In The Soul ppl. :)

bamboom212 said...
amazing poem. im so sorry bout ur loss. You really found a gr8 way to tie it in with ur writing. I luv it. Keep it up!!

despurlock This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My mother died too, when I was twelve. And I can feel the pain and heartache that is laced within theis poem. It is a phenomenal piece and very worthy of being published. I have written some poems with a similar topic and Iwould love for you to check them out and lemme know what you think. Again, this poem is amazing. You are very talented! I still have goosebumps from your words. Fantastic work!

albert312 said...
this was very touching..i feel for those who are in the same situation:(..keep ur head up though:)!

yaelephant5 said...
Wow. That is so touching and powerful. I applaud you for sharing that with the world. Thanks.

L@vLL said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 8:23 am
" very beautiful! ... really liked it.."

Miss_Bliss said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 8:08 am
This was beautiful to read as a poem, and horrible when I remember that it was your actual experience... So sorry for your loss, and PLEASE keep letting it out through your writing!

chrisbriones said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 12:24 am
You and I share that in common. in my case, however, the guilt i bear is for my father. its different, my case, but the base pain and..just everything...is overwhelming enough.
i hope you may tolerate what you bear better than i can ever hope to.

Kagome said...
Oh my god this poem made me regret all the horrible things I do to my mother what I put her through. It made me teary. I don't know what I would do without my mother even though she can be herself I love her very much but I don't think she realizes that I do appreciate her.

Hello,I'm... said...
Just let it out Hon...This poem made me feel what you feel, and see what you saw, and let me be a part of your confusion and sadness.

Cady_ said...
You know I started crying when i read this.... I am sorry bout your mother... I never complain about my mother as much as i use to, because my friends have lost their mother and i feel bad cause i barely know you but yet I feel bad for you at hte same time... I hope you keep the memories that you have and think of happy times you spentwith her...Five stars>>>

marleighxo6 said...
my eyes are tearing up...that was amazing!
i'm sorry about your mother. it must have been really hard.

Summersong said...
this ia a very good poem...but it breaks my heart too im sorry about your mother but I know how lucky I am to have a mom she and I are pretty close too but know that God is always with you :)
~God Bless! :)

LittleBritt said...
this is gorgeous. painful to read but gorgeous.

JessW. said...
this is a beautiful poem. it made me cry. good job. this is truly amazing.