Domestic Goddess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My
mother told
me that if I were smart, I too
would become a domestic goddess, like her.
For one thing, she says that they are the wisest of women
armed with the sacred knowledge that tonic water can eradicate most stains
or that baking soda in the refrigerator can keep most meats from spoiling too quickly.
She argues that Aphrodite’s beauty pales in comparison to the colors of laundered clothes
and a supper of tepid, golden chicken that only an experienced domestic goddess can achieve.
Our home is her Mt. Olympus
and the kitchen serves as Mother’s temple,
despite the fact that there is no sculpture erected in her honor,
unless you want to count the vanilla candle that I made for her last Christmas.
Her nimble fingers scold my clumsier ones as they falter over slicing salad greens.
I say that Homer has a broader mind’s eye than any goddess, I’d much rather write The Iliad.

Evaine said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 8:21 am

thats really sweet and very creative! :)

kmarie14 said...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 12:22 am
:) gotta love moms :) great peom thanks for sharing :)

MRose911 said...
this reminds me of my mom!! :) thanks so much for sharing! :)

tenz11 said...

whoa.

this is beautiful!

Erica B. said...
This is so brilliant. The ending is unexpected and inspiring.

mariel_f said...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 10:12 am
well written poem! super interesting. i love the perspective as well as the allusions to mythology. it's a great frame for a college essay or a personal essay. though i'm not sure i'm a fan of the last line.

MarthaMyDear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm not sure how I feel about the end of this piece. Why Homer? why a man? The message I got from this is that working outside of the home is a very masculine thing to do.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 11:44 am
speaking as a serious feminist, i really liked this poem. particularly the ending.   : )

AuntRiah said...
I love the discription in this. Very creative. (:

starlight26:) replied...
I totally agree :)

jamrock636 said...
This was great! I love the mentioning of baking soda and getting rid of stains, it reminds me so much of my grandma. It was also a great way to look at domesticity, through Greek mythology. Keep up the good work and feel free to check out my work.

roseann This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
loved this poem. my mom's the same, she's the best cook, she never gives up on my own cooking. keep it up!

SOSaiXD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the Greek allusions! The comparison was fantastic. (: I never would've thought of it that way.

ird13 said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 6:45 am
WOW That was really good! I like the way I could feel the way you speak and it had the rhythm of normal conversation while professing something so poetic :]

sleeplessdreamer said...
This was pretty good. I like it a lot, very different for a poem. Check out my work, anyone, if you ever get a chance!

xAllegria said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 4:12 am
That's Nigella Lawson's cookbook... excellent pancakes, oh yessss... haha well anyways Nice idea with the comparisms and stuff. Simple but effective... pretty good.

FondduLac said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 11:34 am
I love this. Great style. Great message.

cgm093 said...
I love how you took something so ordinary and paralleled it to Homer. Great job, i really really like it :)

unfamil-LIAR-minds said...
I love the way this poem is written. It has so much depth. I think mothers should always be admired in some way. Your poem agrees.

Reader:) said...
So your saying that you and your mom are smart because you stay home and cook...