The Last Page | Teen Ink

The Last Page

September 15, 2014
By SawyerGirlie BRONZE, Cropseyville, New York
SawyerGirlie BRONZE, Cropseyville, New York
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't cling to the past because no matter how tightly you hold on, it's already gone."


"As the hands on the clock ticked by, and the clock became clouded over by the mist of the past, I slowly felt my eyes doing the same. As each day slugged by, my eyes lost a little bit of the life that they used to carry within them. My bright brown eyes that shone even in the darkest of moments were gradually learning how to comfortably blend in with the darkness. I felt the life in my eyes fade each time a piece of me died. And I feel as though I'm soon going to come face to face with the worst kind of death: where I'm dead, but still breathing. Or maybe I'm already there and haven't quite yet come to grips with reality. The one thing I'm certain of though, is that the light and life will come back. It's not gone for too long. I'll feel myself fill back up with peace and will be content again one day. Not today. Not tomorrow. But someday. And that vision of someday is the one thing that keeps me going and crawling forward, pushing through the pain that has been placed throughout my entire being. I'll escape the grasp of your burning hands. The same hands that used to hold me so gently, have now turned against me and unhurriedly ripped open old wounds and new. As the wounds pound, I can feel my heart wincing in pain. Eventually they will be coated as scars, but nothing can close them up sooner than time. There's nothing you can do now. Fight with all your might, but the last memory you'll have of me is watching me walk away from you. And as I sharply force myself to breathe, I realize that you can't rely on someone to pick up your broken pieces and fix you. You can only rely on them to fix you for a while, and then anxiously wait for them to break you themselves. After all, isn't that how life works? You never go unbroken for too long. If you feel invincible, don't get used to it. Your kryptonite will strike you when you least expect it. Reality is waiting just around that corner to punch you in the throat and strangle you. You can't prepare for it. It only strikes when it knows that you've lost yourself in a dream. The only person who can fix you is yourself. Reality is a terrible thing to live in. Hey. C'est la vie."


The author's comments:

I wrote this based off of the feelings I've been having lately. I have great difficulties expressing my feelings verbally, but that's okay because when I'm feeling overwhelmed by emotions I close my mouth and let my words run through my hands, to my pen, and onto paper; and this is the result of it.