Dear Society | Teen Ink

Dear Society

By Daydream_aegyo BRONZE, Yakima, Washington
Daydream_aegyo BRONZE, Yakima, Washington

"You cant start the next chapter if you keep re-reading the last chapter"

Dear Society, I am a big fan and dedicated reader of Vogue, Ebony and People magazine. In fact I was reading Vogue the other day and on the cover was Kim Kardashian, the subtitle read ‘Worlds most beautiful women of 2014’ Well, I then asked myself..what’s the definition of the word beautiful? According to Vogue, Ebony and People, beautiful meant having blonde hair, blue eyes, being tall, skinny and having clear skin. So, if you don’t have all of those physical attributes does that mean you aren’t beautiful?
Dear Society, I was stopped on my way to my first class by a security guard and was brought to a room where I had to call my mom. The reason? My tank top was only two fingers in width when it was supposed to be three. Throughout the day I witnessed males walking around with tank tops on, almost identical to the one I had on. I finally made it to my fifth class and there was a guy with a sweater on. This sweater had a girl posing on it with tight shorts, no shirt, no bra and the only thing that covered her breasts was her arm. His went unnoticed until it was brought to our teacher’s attention and she called in that same security guard. I was told that my tank top would make the opposite sex feel uncomfortable and not concentrate on their work. So does that mean that a naked woman on a male’s sweater wouldn’t make a female feel uncomfortable and wasn’t important enough to be stopped while he was heading to his first class, or did you just “not see him?”
Dear Society, I just got an Instagram account. My family and I went out to dinner to celebrate my completion of twelfth grade and I was brought a very appealing dessert (appearance wise). I took a picture of it and posted it on my Instagram account and woo-hoo seventy-five likes and seven new followers. But also just recently my friends and I went to the beach in California for spring break. We took pictures in front of the ocean in our bikinis, blowing kisses at the camera and jumping in the air. Well of course the pictures eventually made their way on my Instagram account, but wait..that’s a little strange, 1,500…..1,501….1,502 likes and 109 new followers. So, does that mean that I have to be half naked in order to be recognized online?
I learned from a teacher that my generation was labeled the apathetic generation meaning we are uninterested and don’t care about a lot of things. Wait a minute…we do care. We care about being loved, and popular and famous and beautiful and even being recognized. So it’s not so much that we don’t care about things it’s just that we care about all of the wrong things.
Oh and Dear Society, you’re not helping.

I hope that people remember that being beautiful doesn't just pertain to your psychical appearance and to always keep your head up.