My Smell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I suppose I must smell a little like
The toxic aftertaste
Of all my wasted dreams
And a little like
The strawberry lip gloss
I try to hide them in.

I suppose I must smell a little like
The acid, boiled-out sweat
Of all my ballet classes
And a little like
The satin pink trappings
I still cling tightly to.

I suppose I must smell a little like
The slick, harsh weight
Of all my smirk and sarcasm
And a little like
The silent, crushing tears
I try to keep within.

BooBooBox said...
Sep. 22 at 11:06 am
Wonderful, Cat! You're right, the sense of smell isn't often used in poetry. This is refreshing. Do you really take ballet? If so, I am so jealous! I've always wanted to learn to dance, not for performance but just for myself, but I never had the opportunity. Is seventeen too late to start dancing?

mereCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sep. 23 at 2:20 am
Thanks very much :) Yes I do take ballet and I honestly don't know who I would be without it; my love for it has shaped so much of my life. 17 definitely isn't too late to experience ballet itself (although it would be for being a professional as most dancers audition for ballet companies at 16/17) If you get the chance I would go for it! Some people might disagree with me but I think that it is an opportunity worth celebrating! When I started I was four but VERY chubby and I di... (more »)

BooBooBox replied...
Sep. 23 at 11:32 am
I hope I can take classes sometime. I really want to learn! :) That's what drives me, finding new outlets for creativity. That's why I want to learn an instrument so badly, too. Then I could finally put my song lyrics to music!

Sep. 24 at 2:06 am
Yes! I always really admire people with the talent for writing music...

ExtraterrestrialThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 12 at 4:21 am
Oooh, this is brilliant. Great use of repetition (I love repetition -- common but very effective technique) and imagery leading up to the final stanza. Very well-written!