Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

silent-one said...
you have great talent.. fire always catches my attention and your poem has certainly caught my attention.

Fabizzle said...
Wow, this poem is...amazing. I could so much relate to everything you said, this is truly amazing, i wish i could write like you lol, well i congratulate you")

BlackMoonWhiteSky This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 9:28 am
Is it dumb to call a poem poetic? Because I’ve read poems that aren’t poetic but this is one of the most poetic poems I’ve ever read.

SharpestSatire said...
New here, and already loving it (still waiting for approval of my work, though - just joined two days ago)! Anyway, I loved this. I consider myself a pyro, and never thought of life like that. Really inspiring and so so so beautiful! Keep it coming! :)

Talia12 said...
This poem means so much to me. i can understand where you're coming from and i deeply hope others can see the depth behind your writing.

Trilby B. said...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 12:39 am
Brilliant,i love this poem,i also really really really love fire,so it has 2 of the things i love.keep writing its really good.

othello03 said...
so good. i liked it even if it only referred to literal flame, but it got even better as a metaphor for life.

Ridelova101 said...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 7:36 am
I love this poem! You have potentail. The way your worded the poem was very nice. Keep writing!

Roxanne said...
i just love it. wonderful--the picture, words, adjectives, flow...everything. I love the comparison you made between you and the candle. The way you describe it... I don't know. Definetely one of my favorites!

Miss_Bliss said...
This is wonderfully written. I, too have compared aspects of life to a flame (if you look at my page, you will find the poem "A Helpful Flame"), and admire how artfully you compared yours. Well done! Keep up the good work!

BoJammin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is excellently written. the metaphor isso great, that i dont even think you need the line about how your life is like the candel; i think you imply that. just an idea of course. great work

bloggergirl93 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is beautifully written...

revolutionary said...
excellent, truly amazing and captivating; very commendable work, and im sure we can all relate to this

PurpleMidnight said...
Wow. This is fantastic! The imagery really captivated me and I could completely relate to it. Never stop writing, I love your work!

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 11:31 am
this is such a great poem. i love that you used a candle flame as a metaphor for life.

WriiteO2iinspiire said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 9:22 am
this is a really qood poem, i love the endinq.
Keep up the good work !

DarkAngelEmotional said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 9:02 am
I like this poem. its both mezmerising and inspiring. nice work! ; )

Paig3Cagl3 said...
This poem has great flow and insight.
I really enjoyed it.
Lovely poem darling =]
-Please check out the works that I have posted on here it would be highly appreciated and I think you would greatly enjoy them, Thankk youz-
XxThe Whole Time You Were Talking I Didnt Hear A Single Word You Said B/C Th3 Whole Time You Were Talking I Was Picturing You DeadXx

Breingan122 said...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:08 am
very good! hahahahahhhhhhhh.

writer24/7/365 said...
i love this! it's mesmerising and entertaining!