No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

Snowbelly311 said...
That is Really Good

xXsmileXx said...
Wow, i just wrote an essay for school about the same topic! I completely agree with what you wrote. Great poem, keep writing!

hopeisthemessage said...
I agree. We took a huge step electing an African American president, but with the passing of Proposition 8 in California, it was a huge step back. Spread the Love!!!<3 This was an excellent poem by the way, I really enjoyed it.(:

the truth said...
We might not have the ability to do everything we want in this coterie but we are much better off than other coterie.

amatuer said...
Jan. 13, 2009 at 2:18 am
This is differant. and very, very true.
Discrimination is a scourge

spaznkool101 said...
i completly agree with this. they always say america is a free contry, but discrimination is keeping it froming being that way.

Sahar_SaiD said...
Well I agree and disagree. Everything has a yes and a no. I depends on whos asking and as far as that goes things need a balance...While one person can do one thing...There is just the same amount of people who cant and vice versa. So you can be one sided in this day and time "yes we can" some times and "no we cant others"
We cant fly but its not impossible. Birds can...
We CAN sing...some of us others can sing but dont sound nice. Some of us can and cant do the... (more »)

Ren-P. replied...
Sahar_SaiD: So are you saying homosexuals shouldn't be able to marry? If so, just say it, don't use an unclear metaphor.
I think that anyone should have the right to marry. It's wrong to say we all have equal rights and not give them to some.

beautifulworld replied...
Heaven forbid someone says something deeper than a kiddie pool. Look back and try to listen to what their actually SAYING.

lunafunmonkey said...
This is very well written, but I disagree with it. There will always be things that are just not right, and that we cannot do.

Imagine said...
Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:12 am
If there is one concept I have happily grasped while perusing the opinion column, it is that this generation is so much more open-minded. From gay marriage to religion, we're more eager than any preceding generation to show our differences. So, thank you for writing this. Thank you for showing that our generation not only has an opinion, but we're gonna say it proud. Thank you.

myturntobebrave said...
Dec. 30, 2008 at 5:23 am
Excellent poem, and yes, Prop. 8 is a tragedy.

annexgreyz said...
Nov. 11, 2008 at 10:12 am
wow, this is a really good poem and it really stands out from many that i've read. :]

~airgurl~ replied...
Wow that is wonderfully portrayed! But it's not hate or discrimination religious ppl are talking about my bible says its wrong! Thats what i go by.

ConstanceScott replied...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 6:58 am
So when people used the fact that there was slaverly was in nthe bible and it was allowed and used scripture to support it, that made it in no way racist, discriminate, and/or hateful?

Shadowrider replied...

This is an amazing poem. With a wonderful message. You go girl!