No, You Cannot | Teen Ink

No, You Cannot MAG

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

This piece was written after Prop 8 was passed in California, a national tragedy at the state level.

sambam SILVER said...
sambam SILVER, Pomona, California

fly like a thestral. away from this place.

i agree

i mean c'mon i understand you shouldn't have sex unless you're married...FINE

but refusing to marry them?

they're just living by Catholic rules

I don't like this idea of equality without the same rights, it makes no sense

and i'm a catholic...

right on kayla b!

SirSeba BRONZE said...
SirSeba BRONZE, Marysville, California

"Just because you can, doesnt always mean you should" ~ achreon

yeah okay, god made Adam and Eve, but not everyone believes in God. America is a place where religion is free and so saying ""God made Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve" should not take away the rights of gay marrages. and really that statement only talks about gay guys. whout about lesbians? Are gay guys not allowed but lesbians are?

In my opinion sexual prefferance shouldn't matter. If you don't like some because they are gay, you might as well not like someone because of their skin color.

Icekin10 GOLD said...
Icekin10 GOLD, Highland, Utah

Charity is the pure love of Christ.

There were two muffins in an oven. One muffin remarked "It's getting hot in here!" The other muffin exclaimed, "WOAH! A talking muffin!"

This poem is well written, but the subject is highly contraversial. I believe same-sex marriage errodes the traditional family where every child should have the right to be raised, even though I respect the contrary belief. Secondly, you make freedom sound like you can do whatever you want. Freedom comes only from the law and obedience. For example, if no one obeyed the traffic laws, there would be chaos on the road and many lives lost in car accidents (Even if there are those who truly feel that they were born to break this law). I feel that the same principle remains for marriage.

SunnySummers GOLD, New York, New York

Okay, well, although I realize that ellyn-bo-bellyn-2014 is right, I won't state my agreement the same way. I believe that a man and a woman were meant to be together-- no other combinations. That's it.

But if what Jamie Rose said was correct, then I also agree with the author of this poem. America is full of hypocrosy in the way they teach. All of the "popular" beliefs trip over and contradict themselves.

God's Word is the Truth.

ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

God made Adam and EveNOT Adam and Steve.

Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

Just had to say again, I love it!

on Mar. 28 2010 at 11:36 am
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
nice job. love itt.

PeacePerson said...
PeacePerson, Prescott, Arizona

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Have you ever actually asked a gay person whether he or she chose to be gay? You might be surprised.

Also, did you know that more than 450 species of animals have shown gay behavior? Some even say that as much as 1500 species exhibit this. And do animals have a choice about their homosexuality? Are they trying to make their parents mad? I don't think so.

Now about why gays "become straight" -- they don't. I have a friend who was so ashamed of being lesbian because people were bigoted towards her that she tried to dismiss her identity and got married to a man. She fought it and fought it and fought it until the emotional strain was too much and she divorced, accepting her true self. That's what this prejudice is putting people through. It's so bad, that it makes them lie to themselves, just so people won't hate them and, quote, "believe that it is wrong."

dojorockergirl SILVER, Sacramento, California

1. "Cowards die a thousands times before their death, but the Valiant taste death all but once."
2. "Fairytales don't tell children dragons exist, Children already know dragons exist. Fairytales tell children that dragons can be killed."
3. "

i loved it and its completely true what you said. Keep it up!

write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia
More studies have supported the belief that it IS a choice than the belief that it is biological. And if it is decided biologically like you say, then why and how do gay / lesbian / bisexual people become straight? Do they just suddenly alter their genetic makeup?
And some people only become gay / lesbian / bisexual to show rebellion and make their parents mad. They clearly are not genetically predisposed to be that way. It is their choice.

JamieRose[= said...
She is stating that our Country holds an oxymoron in it's teaching. It tells us we can do anything, then limits our paths. She isn't blatantly going for or against, just recognizing the hypocrisy.

skyler SILVER said...
on Mar. 6 2010 at 11:46 am
skyler SILVER, Tayllorsville, Utah

live to love and love to live

i really liked it but i am confused are you saying only men and women should be married or that its not right to exclude same ex marriage

PeacePerson said...
on Mar. 6 2010 at 10:31 am
PeacePerson, Prescott, Arizona

You guys are totally going off on the myth that it's a choice to be gay / lesbian /bi. Studies have shown that it is NOT. I mean, why would anyone WANT to be gay with all this discrimination going on around them? This issue is not so very different at all than the fact that you can't choose your skin color, hm?

PeacePerson said...
on Mar. 6 2010 at 10:15 am
PeacePerson, Prescott, Arizona

"Marriage in itself is a thing of God's Word. It is a holy union between a man and a woman." I'm glad that works for you, and I respect what you believe. However, I don't think that belief should have to apply to people at a national level. That was a great poem.

imawriter? said...
Thats true. Marriage today is jacked. But so is the world. We just need to make it a better place. and the poem was great. I got a very passionate vibe from it.

Mayblue SILVER said...
Mayblue SILVER, Visalia, California
Marriage in itself is a thing of God's Word. It is a holy union between a man and a woman. It is, however, also meant for virgins, so basically all of the nowaday marriages are jacked.

Very nice, I love it.

mmfdg623 GOLD said...
mmfdg623 GOLD, Lyndhurst, New Jersey

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
Louisa May Alcott

I agree completely. Who are we to say that a love between a man and a woman is better than the love between two people of the same sex ? If two people truly love each other, can it really be a bad thing? People can't always choose who they fall in love with, and I believe that everyone should have the same rights.

sanra SILVER said...
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
first of all i agree, and second, why the hell does religions got to do with this, isn't everyone suppose to have freedom of belief, so why does the laws of who marrie's who relies on the church! i'm sorry for any of the church supporters, but this is not the middle ages.......the government should not be in favor of any beliefs, it seems like it is thouhgt..

Poet4ever SILVER, Pocatello, Idaho

"Guilt by association is guilt nonetheless" CSI: New York

Wow such remarable work. Great job on the way it flows, too! most people cannot do that. Secondly, I 100% agree with the poem. What happened with Martin Luther Kings dream has become a reality, now that blacks and whites live together and are treated equally, it's the gay people that need those same rights that all of us as Americans should have. And for all you who think, no I am not gay .