No, You Cannot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is a new nation,
a nation that proudly proclaims:
“Yes we can.”
But what power holds “yes we can,”
when America has told many of our
brothers and sisters
“no, you cannot”?
You cannot follow your heart.
You cannot move forward.
You cannot take a hand.
You cannot break the mold.
“Marriage is a holy bond
for a man and a woman
it is not yours to taint,” they say.
Where is the future?
Relentlessly we must
keep striving for a better day.
We must stop this hatred
and bring about change in the
wake of defeat.

Jazzimaniac said...
WOW this is so true!

WriteItOff said...
Preach it! This is so true, we are the youth of this nation, if we change, then in a decade or so, so does America. Its that easy :)

FrAme said...
I never said it was founded on Christianity, only the beliefs, and when I say that I simply mean the moral ones, not the belief in a God.

BlueRain replied...
"This country was founded upon Christian beliefs and the standards that Christians place upon themselves" is what you said, so I interpreted it that way. Christians aren't the only ones with morals you know. Religion and morals are two separate ideas. You can be moral without having a religion. Religion only sets up punishment and reward for anyone who follows those morals, and many people can live without fear of punishment or wanting a reward just for being good people.

FrAme replied...
You're missing the part that says, "... upon themselves have proven to be the best choices out of the alternatives." I'm only stating that this religion and others like it have set high standards for the followers to work towards. I didn't mean to imply that only Christians have morals, because I know many non-christian and even non-religious people that lead more moralistic lives than Christians.

BlueRain replied...
Yes, it is true there is a larger amount of moral humans who are religious, but that is often because the need for a reward or punishment for their behavior is great. Since they believe in a powerful being who is able to do anything at anytime, that influences their actions. For myself, I don't do good things because I fear judgement of someone else, but because my own self judgement is very strong. As a human being I have an instinctual set of rules for myself as well as a societal set of rules... (more »)

StarChild replied...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:34 am
Okay I'm braking this up. This country was founded on people that wanted religion rights and others among that category. Teen ink is a site where teens are supposed to speak freely and say what they want to say. If you don't like what they said... Leave the page. Let it go. There's so many people in this world and I'm sure someone agrees with them and same to you. Religion is a choice. It shouldn't pull people apart.

FrAme replied...
Sorry if it came across as a fight. I saw it more of a debate then anything else. We just had conflicting ideas that we wanted the other to understand. Am I wrong BlueRain?

BlueRain replied...
I wasn't going towards a fight. Just like you said, a discussion. Though many of the morals we follow are found in the Christian religion, that doesn't mean they were founded on Christian morals. The morals we (try) to practice in America can be found in other religions. We just correspond them with Christianity because we have a large amount of Christians in this country.

Ella1 said...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:35 am
I like your message and how you related it to real life events. Good Job

. said...

this poem is amazing :D

FrAme said...

This country was founded upon Christian beliefs and the standards that Christians place upon themselves have often been proven to be the best choices out of the alternatives that might be presented.

Although I disagree, I respect your opinion and understand why you think it. :)

FrAme replied...
This was meant as a reply to inspiredbytheworld's comment. Also, I think this poem could use a little more work, but it was good beside the choppiness.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 8:28 am
America was not founded on Christianity. If you look back in your history books, the Founders specifically put that there would be a separation of church and state, because they did not want religion to interfere in politics. There are also many resources that prove that the Founders weren't even Christians but Deists ie. people who may believe there was a higher power, but not necessarily the Christian god, and definitely not the bible. They believed more in logic to guide them through life tha... (more »)

theatregirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
stop arguing! it just a poem/1 whether or not you agree is up to you, but stop arguing about.

Fia-fia said...

This is amazing!! Such a great message in such a good poem!!! Thank you for sharing! 

:)

youngspeare said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 4:06 am
This is fabolous! The flow, the words, the style all epic.. :)
Check out my work if you have time. Would appreciate it. 

ilovearianna said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:34 am
i love it. nice job.

sarahmichelle98 said...
its very choppy. the message you attempt to send is definetley an interesting and controvercial one, but that doesnt mean that you can heavily rely on that and just leave the flow of the poem to be...well, nonexistent (excuse my spelling and grammar, trust me i dont usually write like this)

outoftheshadows replied...
I dont think thats necessarily true. I enjoy the way this is written. Even the quotes fit well too.