A gentle reminder to me | Teen Ink

A gentle reminder to me

January 4, 2014
By EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
EmmaSJacobs GOLD, London, Other
18 articles 6 photos 0 comments

In case you forget, you sit there and let your self esteem once again fall victim to the injustices of society,
Then they have the nerve tell you to try your best and to change your hair and spend all you of your hard earned money that you spent good hours working for on cosmetics that would be out of fashion by the time you have gathered the coins from your purse and taken it to the till and bought it.
Society will then tell you that you are wrong and you’re still not beautiful and in attempting to be so you have fallen victim to the pre elected stereotype that as a teenage girl you will be superficial and care not about earthquake victims or those who died in genocides but only about the latest jacket.
However in case you forget, you were once a young kid sitting in class learning of the woes of Narcessis. Cause of death: vanity. And the thought, the thought that struck you, as your mind embarked upon the oddesy so as to comprehende such emotions that one would attatch to their physical attributes, was one of terror. Similar to late night noises as you lay alert in bed. Resembaling that feeling that you got when you lost your mum in a crowd on a busy day. A feeling of hopelessness and helplessness and not being able to save yourself because you don’t know what the situation you’re trying to retreat from is. And this chilled your bones leading to the formation of the pledge you made to yourself that rainy Wednesday morning in a suburban classroom that you wouldn’t be one of the fallen. Not one who fell to such a level were the word of another forced you to slit your esteem and banish your faith. Not one who fell to ask others for approvement, who begged to be accepted and yet to project their inner spirit whilst maintaining their ‘cool’.
And in case you forgot, it’s not too late.