Perfection This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was sitting on the couch
right next to you
with a book in our lap
You were reading
so all I had to do was listen
to your thick viscous voice,
surrounding me like a blanket,
filling every nook and cranny
so that all that was left of my little world
was you,
me,
and the puny book between us.

The words seemed to roll off your tongue
like a lullaby.
You had mastered the art
of telling stories,
every word perfection.
I remember staring at the book,
willing the last page not to come.
But even I know
that the best of things must end eventually.

But there are always
days like today,
when I stare at my bookshelf,
and my hands instinctively guide me
towards the section of picture books,
like they did many years ago.
And as I sit on the floor,
I read the book silently to myself
and I imagine
that I am sitting on the couch
right next to you
with a book in our lap
but with your syrupy voice filling my head
instead of my own.

TravelerenRouteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 29 at 8:17 pm:
This is very good

TheBlackCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 24 at 3:15 pm :
Thanks! :)

TraceYesIAmAGuyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very good, I actually really liked this piece, especially the tieback at the end. It makes the poem feel like it's spanned years in the few short words you've put down. In addition, some imagery and word usage is delectable, like ¨thick, viscous voice." My only gripe was that I wished I could have had more of a backstory between you and the figure reading to you, it would have made it seem more personable and maybe even relatable. But other than that, well done!

Nov. 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm :
There wasn't a backstory because I wrote this as a gift for my dad a couple years ago (he was the "you" figure in the story), and he knows better than I the times we read together. Thank you so much for the feedback; I really appreciate it!