Self Portrait in Retrospect

I remember who you were,
I recall what you did,
but you're very different now
from when you were a kid.
How could it ever be
that you've gone through such a change?
What in life caused you
the need to rearrange?
And now I don't recognize
who you've come to be--
How strange it is
to remember that you're me.

The_DoctorDonna said...
Omg I love this poem, it captures exactly what I tried to do in a poem of my own, but yours is so perfect I just love it so much

OldYoungOne said...
The speaker talks as if he or she has sold out in some way to where they can't necessarily look at themselves positively. I like it.

Laugh-it-Out This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This is really good, relateable, true, and beautifully written. Great job. Keep rockin

CrazySissi said...
This poem is something I can relate to because I do feel as if i've changed and I know i'm not the only one.

Carly_Elizabeth said...
It is crazy how we change so much as we grow up to the point where we don't know who we are. I love the last six stansas the best. It's just so chilling (and I love how it rhymes) I really did like this! Great job!

WishfulDoer said...
I relate to this poem in a very distinct way. It's well written and I love the message. The only iffy thing I found was the line "What in life caused you the need to rearrange?" The usage of the word caused seems a little odd to me when I read it aloud. But other than that it's fantastic.

i_hope_u_dance said...
Oh my God, I love the ending. it's a good twist :D