expired tuna in a bloated can | Teen Ink

expired tuna in a bloated can MAG

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

i cough and gag
and expel you
like an overdue hairball
stuck within my throat
some mindless lover
unsuspecting
the future heartache
i will cause him
caught my curiosity
i lick my paws
to rid myself
of the rancid taste
of you
expired tuna
in a bloated can

A mixture of inspirations here. Imagists and Beats. And a hell lot of emotions.

on Feb. 15 2015 at 12:09 am
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

I love this, not only because I am a self-proclaimed catboy. It is original, sweet, and is something I could imagine a published poet writing. Well, it is published, to be fair.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Jan. 21 2014 at 12:25 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Coincidence? Fate? Destiny? I dunno. I will say that your poem "Food and Wine" was an inspiration for this poem and Fame Monster, primarily for the latter due to one image in your poem. I'm so honored that we'll share and grace the pages of Teen Ink together. It is striking how both of these poems, as similar as they are, were chosen to be together among other works. I remember how upset I was when I wrote this. How I wanted to ceate something unusual. Something that I wasn't used to creating. And here this blessed darling came about, truly ex nihilo. Now, I don't care about who I wrote this about. I'm overoveroverover. And FORGOTTEN. In the end, I think I might've won. But it's never really about winning: that's petty. But about being happy for yourself. And I can honestly affirm to that. Just so you know, I've began to write a little lately. Hope my writer's block is over, I think. Congrats, sister, you deserve all the praise coming your way. Thank you.

migwam ELITE said...
on Jan. 17 2014 at 11:57 am
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

My dear, Congrats on the publishing!! Is it just me or did you notice that the poems they chose from your collection and mine to publish this month are remarkably similar? Interesting stuff. I love this poem. Allthefeels.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Sep. 2 2013 at 8:20 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks, Christian T, fellow male writer. Nice to see  another guy who writes too. 

on Aug. 31 2013 at 12:15 am
TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

"I wish I could be a little less dramatic, like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in Flames." -Miranda Lambert

This is a really great poem; it all ties together very well.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 28 2013 at 5:47 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much, Hanban. I appreciate the feedback. I'm very happy for this poem too; means the world to receive such kind feedback. 

Hanban12 ELITE said...
on Aug. 28 2013 at 5:44 pm
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Wow! The entire metaphor in this poem really reaches out to readers. I enjoy everything about it- to the bouncing rythym, the comparisons, the double meaning- I think this is a very creative poem that definetly deserved Editor's Choice. Well done :)

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 25 2013 at 10:31 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Ada, yeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss. I love BATMAN! 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 25 2013 at 10:30 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Fallenoutofgrace, yes, I will agree with you. Even as I wrote it, I didn't quite fully understand this poem myself. As an author, sometimes you don't understand what you write yourself. It takes some epiphany, I suppose, or an elightment to understand your own work. So glad you like it. And think it's "cute". I haven't thought of it that way. But I guess it is. Thank you so much.

east_of_ada said...
on Aug. 17 2013 at 7:40 pm
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

batmaaaaaan~!

on Aug. 16 2013 at 7:25 pm
Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

First take I though you ate some nad fish and wrote a good poem, then I was is this about people and breakup and got more into it, then I was like r u a cat? But overall, I thought it was a nice cute poem.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 15 2013 at 7:38 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

east_of_ada said...
on Aug. 15 2013 at 6:20 pm
east_of_ada, Null, Other

Batman is life. we shall roam gotham streets and make people enjoy their days~!

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 12 2013 at 8:12 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I couldn't agree anymore. And YEAH BATMAN! 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 12 2013 at 8:11 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

They do. I hate being emotional. But with poetry, it helps. Thanks, pimp. Sorry for grossing you out. 

east_of_ada said...
on Aug. 10 2013 at 10:22 pm
east_of_ada, Null, Other

we could do a Batman themed costume c;

on Aug. 9 2013 at 11:32 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

My first reaction? EWW. XD But yeah, this is amazing. And you definitely deserve the red check mark. Keep those emotions boiling, they spit out good poetry all the while :P

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 7 2013 at 2:03 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I agree. Although, I do believe latex does not flatter my figure. XD

east_of_ada said...
on Aug. 5 2013 at 10:04 pm
east_of_ada, Null, Other

all we need now are cool costumes and weapons.

Mckay ELITE said...
on Aug. 5 2013 at 4:18 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm with you. 100% It'd be the best mission ever.