Old and New Faces

Our legs dangle off the bridge we’ve been sitting on,
For hours upon end
Watching the sailboats go gently past,
Below,
Scouring the sea of people for a familiar face
Tired of what’s new
And exciting
Hoping to feel nostalgia once more and remember the way
It felt when we breathed in the sunshine
Instead of basking in it
And it was all the brighter because.
Each sailboat
Is on its way to a place we can’t even guess
And every passerby
Has their own destiny that we aren’t to share,
So why doesn’t that stop us
From watching
And searching
For someone to share the sunshine with, today,
When we’ve been two feet away
The entire
Time,
Searching for the same things?

StarlitSunriseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 6:52 pm:
I really like the idea behind this. So often when I am driving, I look at all the cars around me and am suddenly impressed by the hundreds of other lives going on in my peripheral. You managed to capture that feeling perfectly, and I especially like your note about the other person sitting nearby. It is easy to overlook those closest to us for the idea of new and exciting experiences, but you remind the reader that 'normal' interaction can be just as valuable as the exciting, movie-scrip... (more »)

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 22 at 8:50 pm:
I love how you can be tired of what's new and exciting. I kind of feel that way sometimes when I think about my past. I just wanna go back to the old me, and forget about the changes. But then, something always holds me back, that little ray of sunshine in my present life compared to the dark shadow over my past. Doesn't stop me from missing the small things I used to enjoy, though XD Excellent job, I feel nostalgic already! ^_^

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 16 at 2:41 pm:
“Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landscape, hoping desperately that their circumstances will improve, but suspecting, in their heart of hearts, that they will remain unloved forever. The best thing to... (more »)

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 16 at 2:42 pm :
haha that^^ is what i thought when i read this. awesome job, as always:P