Everglades Girl This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Alpharetta, GA
When I was born, my eyes were dark blue. Then my parents took me to the Everglades.

I saw its sawgrass and its dense forest and its living, breathing body.

I saw the Everglades and my eyes turned the grey-green of crocodile skin; the color of the algae on the back of a soft-shell turtle.

I saw the slow, waist-deep river and my hair turned the color of its deepest point -- dark, deep, glittering, mysterious.

I saw the tangled, wild forest with its vines and mosses and my locks imitated their demeanor; they spun and curled and flew in every direction to please the forest.

I saw the beautiful beasts and my skin turned the pale gold of an alligator's throat; the color an egret's wings turn as it flies across the setting sun.

I saw the patience of the Everglades -- its slow, peaceful determination -- and I followed.

I heard nothing as the python watched the world with glass eyes. I learned the value of silence.

I watched a ripple across the surface of the river and I realized that I could not quite see the bottom.

I watched that ripple and my soul endeavored to become as deep and rich as the water below me.

I watched that ripple -- in the river, in time, in the the very structure of my society -- and I became the Everglades.

Tempus1Fugit said...
Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm:
I like this work, but the "--" thing looks weird at some points. Perhaps this problem is the site or something, but I would look over this piece again and see if this isn't some other, better way to word the sentences that use the "--" puncuation.  Other than that, though, this piece is great. I can really connect to what the narrator is feeling, and I can see what the Everglades look like through her eyes. Good job!

India replied...
Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm :
On MS Word, the hyphens connect and from one long dash, which is considered proper punctuation. The writer probably copied and pasted it from Word.

KkatKreationzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:26 am:
AMAZING! This waas amazing... Heartfelt. I loved it.

TheShyOne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm:
This was beautiful.