Surely | Teen Ink

Surely

By TeaForOne BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts
TeaForOne BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts

"There is no good and evil; there is only power and those too weak to seek it." - Lord Voldemort

Surely

I will surely drown in the tears of my sorrow, as they pool collectively around my feet, gradually immersing me in salty brine

I will surely burn, in the fires of hell that captivate me, flames licking every flake of skin until I’m a plastic doll, dripping thickly through a grate

Surely I must be mad to think that the devil bid me do his work, for I am a mere fool, my wit entirely my own

I will surely freeze, in the bitter coldness of the still beating hearts that lie upon a metal slab

I will surely be eaten, if not by the grief that shreds my soul, then by the savage beast who feasts upon my eyes

Surely I must die to spite the living, for I AM death, my shadow a lover’s kiss to wake the night

Often, my writing, my poetry specifically, comes from a very dark place within me. I personally believe I write my best poetry when I am am emotionally driven and when my inspiration is channeled through my emotions.