Self-Esteem

Why do people expect so much from themselves in life?
I don’t know why
Why is it when I look into the mirror and don’t like what I see?
That I don’t know either
No one tells me I’m ugly
But I believe it with all my heart
No one tells me “No you shouldn’t wear thatbecausee it doesn’t make you look good” either
So why is it I have no self-esteem?
I hate getting complements
They make me want to scream
I look around at everyone else
And see them as happy as can be
I look into a mirror, tears falling down my face
The world around me seems to fade
As I am glued to my reflection
I have to force myself away

KrasotaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:52 am
I love this piece here as I feel I can relate to this (some of my pieces, sadly, are autobiographical, too, even though I usually tend to lean towards depressing poetry). It's very healthy to get your negative feelings out through writing instead of physically/mentally beating yourself up for them, so I have to appreciate your brutal honesty in these verses. Excellent job at expressing yourself and have a nice day! :D

Jeeves12345This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I agree, I have found that by expressing my feelings through poetry that I can releive stress and such through it. So thank you.

RoyalCorona said...
Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:40 am
WOW!! This one is extremely auto-biographical and I comend you for that, not many people have the spine to do that! Great job, I also hate compliments so I can relate to this one! 

Thank you. I am not the best person to complement at all about what I look like or anything. But if its something I write I don't mind. I couldn't agree more.