Hidden Heroes

They stand all around us,
Blending in with the crowd.
An average person on their
way to their average job.

Just a mother,
Carting her kids around.
Just a father,
Kicking off his shoes once he's home from work.

Only a brother,
Throwing a ball to his dog.
Only a sister,
Chatting on the phone with her friend.

But there is something different,
Something... remarkable, extraordinary,
About these average, everyday people.
They are our hidden heroes.

No, they don't wear a cape.
No, they don't have super powers.
Yes, they fight crime.
Yes, they keep us safe.

Some wear fatigues;
Others, a badge.
Some save lives.
Others fight for them.

They are the silent ones,
Ever-ready to help when called upon,
But never revealing themselves otherwise.
Humble heroes,
Hidden heroes,

Our heroes.

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 7:20 pm:
Wow this is good! I love the emotion here and how powerful this is. I love how you added the part about the mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers. It makes you take a look at your own family and say: " wow I never noticed you are so...." Great work! I enjoy reading your pieces very much Elizabeth keep rockin.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 2 at 9:52 pm:
Hey! This is very powerful. I could tell by the title that this was going to be something really very special.. and of course it was. The more I read your work the more impressed I am. You have such talent that some only wish they could have half of. You're a spectacular writer. I always enjoy reading your work. How refreshing it is when you post something new. I love how you start of saying 'average person' and go to saying 'hero'.. that is brilliant. It really conveys power... (more »)