my sister was a princess who could never remember her crown This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

i've decided that we’re all born with a tiny bit of Alzheimer’s in us
if you want to fight me on that,
pause for a moment and take a rocketship ride in your mind
fly through the galaxies, memories, and horrors of your past
back to every time you forgot someone's name, forgot a textbook at school,
forgot where you were going
or forgot who you were.
you've had to fight the raging sea-monster to get yourself back.
i'll tell you the story of the day i found my little sister sitting on the staircase
she'd started to climb and then, in an instant, didn't know what was going on
she stopped and sat down and tried to remember,
but she couldn't, not without my help.
forgetting our plans and forgetting what makes us special,
we need someone to come along and
patiently remind us.

wordnerd54 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm:
Wow, that was really beautiful. I love how it ended- I didn't expect that to be the message of the poem at all.  I love the imagery - it was absolutely perfect. Awesome job!

laurengerhard This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm :
Thank you so much :)

Chichot123 said...
May 13, 2013 at 10:09 am:
Awesome poem :). I love it. :D 

May 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm :
Thank you :)

MaybeImCrazyButIThinkILovedYouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hmm... I love the construction behind it all: the way that it's not just a poem, but it's a story. It's almost as if everything was sort of effortless: the imagery, the words, the depth. Nice job, Lauren!

Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm :
Thank you so much :)

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really awesome Poem!!!!!!!!!!!!!'m

Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm :
Thank you :)

WeLiveForOurScarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this. Honestly, if there was any critiquing to be done on your poems I would and I feel bad for just saying "I love this!" on all of them, but it's true.

Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm :
You're so sweet, oh my, thank you so much.

DoctorbugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:19 am:
I really liked all of your poems but I think this one's the best :)...probably because it's the most relatable, lol!   Wonderful rhythm with lots of truth packed into it. Awesome!

Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm :
Thank you so much :)

Anathema-Equinox said...
You're is so true.  I loved the beggining all the way to the end. I lve how you question the reader, "If you want to fight me on that, puase for a moment and that a roketship ride..."  this made me think, and you are correct.  This is a "tiny bit of Alzheimer's in us."   You sequence is wonderful, you start off with a statement, then you explain that statement.  Next, you tell a story that you've experienced.  Last, you sum everyt... (more »)

Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm :
Thank you! Yes, I like to take on interactive characters when I write poems. Make the person I am speaking as seem real. Xo

AugustSummerFlingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:32 am:
I feel like crying after reading this... Yes. Everyone's born with their share of Alzheimer's. brilliant line.its such a dreadful disease..n u captured the emotions with such simple words n story.. The title was so great :) I LOVE THIS!

Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:13 pm :
Aw, I'm so glad! Thank you so much!

LizJaejoong said...
So like, I'm not saying im going to steal this. I'm just saying that if some one would happen to, it would be me. LOVE IT

Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:32 pm :
You're so cute! Haha, thank you!

writerauterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i was speechless after i read this. it is so honest and true. i really respect you for not only posting this, but also for being such a good writer. :)

Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:01 pm :
I appreciate your comments so much, thank you!