Green Heart

In a sprawling silver city,
a speck of green
lies concealed in a place
rarely seen.

Gleaming cars.
Broad, flat roads.
Garbage trucks gather,
then dump their loads.

Planes sail by
overhead.
An overworked businessman
rises from bed.

His company
develops land.
Real estate worth
several hundred grand.

A crisp new suit.
Carefully combed hair.
Today he will meet
with the city's mayor.

Green eyes betray
how he feels inside
powerful emotions
he struggles to hide.

To sell some land
is what they mayor wants.
A lovely little park -
one of the businessman's favorite haunts.

The mayor talks
of how much money they'll make
but the businessman says
"Sir, this is a mistake."

"How?" the mayor asks.
The other replies,
"To destroy such an oasis
would be very unwise.

"The money we would make
could never erase
the guilt of ruining
this peaceful place."

In a sprawling silver city,
a speck of green
lies concealed in a place
rarely seen.

Michelle R. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 10:57 pm:
I thought the green means jealousy, or how others can save nature or how others have more money.

sadesddThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14 at 12:30 pm:
Green hearts are the worse

DreamingOfNirvanaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 14 at 7:07 pm :
Really? Why?

sadesddThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 20 at 2:26 pm :
What sense is a green heart standing for in this Poem? The mayor who wants to kill the earth green as in money or the one who wants to save it green as in saving the earth?

Feb. 20 at 7:22 pm :
;) both, i guess.

Feb. 21 at 12:24 pm :
It's just a very interesting poem. People will read it and figure it out for themselves. It made me think. So I thought you were talking about a greedy person. Money chasing. Very good either way or both:)

Feb. 21 at 7:04 pm :
Thanks! That means a lot to me. I'm shy to submit work and stuff like that because I'm always afraid that people won't like it or won't understand. This is one of the first articles of any sort that I've ever submitted. so thanks :)