Left Turns

Here's to all the left turns
we put off for drier days;
uphill rain climbs
when I said "stick to the right"
and you said
"why?"

We'l take them all, someday.
Every single one.
We'll explore the
mudslopes in fearless boots
and gifted shoes,
until we've woven through
every turn of every branch
of every fork
of every slope
and mounted the impossible mountains,
and threaded ourselves through the eyes
of sunrises and sunsets.

And maybe,
at the final horizon line,
where the winding roads store their roots,
we'll find ourselves in the same place
we would have been anyway.

thatunknownthingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:52 am
amazing theme. thoughtful, and pretty good, overall. 4/5! :)  

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:43 am
Thanks!         

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very cool! Kind of depressing, though, don't you think? You do all that hard work and end up where you would have been had you tried nothing.... Or maybe I'm completely off here, about the meaning:)

Haha, no I think you're totally right. It definitely is a little depressing, but only in the sense that its hard to know what the ultimate outcomes of our actions will be. I don't ever advocate doing nothing, but making choices is sometimes dangerous. And you couldn't be wrong about the meaning- its whatever you think it is! 

taylorbugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You say a lot in a little. Being a left-hander, I totally understand (not sure if this is what you meant). Right-handed people ALWAYS go to the right side of everything, and our world is built for the majority. When I drift to the left side of the sidewalk, I get crazy looks, but before I know it, I've got followers trailing me. It's all about trying new things and being a hipster! (:                  &nb... (more »)

Thank you!