Peace, Love, and Labrador Retrievers | Teen Ink

Peace, Love, and Labrador Retrievers

October 21, 2012
By Roamingwolf BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado
Roamingwolf BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I submit to you that is a man hasn’t discovered something he will die for, he isn’t fit to live” Martin Luther King Jr.


To view each new day...while looking over the top of my coffee cup,
Enjoying the quiet woods around...taking shape as the sun comes up.
And listen to my dogs...out running all around.
Barking to awake the morning...patrolling every inch of ground.

Knowing that my destiny lies waiting,
Thinking of that future morning...and anticipating,
I look down to the Labrador sitting next to me now...
And tell him, "It won't be too much longer...Anyhow!"

He smiles that doggy kind of grin...
His thoughts...like mine...have also been...
To meadow fields with birds ready to take to flight...
To waterbanks where crickets and frogs chirp all through the night.

"Oh...City Dog...Yes...I know," I look down to him and say,
"You were born to run...all day in the sun...and to be free to go play,
And look at us...at home behind these walls...Not fair...our yard's too small,
Don't worry, my friend...Country life beckons us...and "Yes"...I too, hear it call!"

A dog either knows exactly what you say...or perhaps could really care less...
Deep down their natural instincts prevail...they understand perhaps more than the rest.
This Labrador...is ready to take on the world away from here...Look at him wag his tail.
What concern of human things does he have...To afford to go...or If the dream can fail.

So...I think I'll work a little harder...a little longer...and dream a little more...
And let my Lab...go back to sleep..."cooped-up" on the laundry room's floor.
No need to get all worked up...Must make a good living in the big city...For us "big believers",
Time to get back to it for another day..."Peace, Love, and Labrador Retrievers".