ALPHABET | Teen Ink

ALPHABET

October 8, 2012
By apple-pie-in-the-sky SILVER, New York, New York
apple-pie-in-the-sky SILVER, New York, New York
5 articles 0 photos 6 comments

A—A is sturdy, dependable; an artist’s easel from the side. It shows itself proudly.
B—B is a lumpy backpack, bursting and bulging with all that is needed to brave the backwoods.
C—C is open-ended: half of a circle. A question to be answered.
D— An empty bow that should be dangerous, but lacks the arrow. It can now do nothing but wait.
E—A squat brick wall, open on one side, but still holding up. E is well-worn, used often.
F—The curving brace of an archway, only supportive with its pair.
G—It forms a curving park bench with an umbrella overhead that blocks the sun only in the morning.
H—A Gymnast’s bar, flexible but strong.
I—The simplest of all forms: the straight line.
J—When you take I and look at it through a convex lens, you get the J: only slightly curved.
K—Pulling aside the curtains before a musical, you can just barely make out the K in the folds of the fabric.
L—A right angle: square, and decisive, standing proud.
M—M once stood a taut tightrope, but now sags deeply.
N—A live accordion, notes escaping vibrantly from deep within its folds as an old man plays.
O—A circle. The perfect measure of infinity; forever closed.
P—P is a noisemaker: standing straight, it pops a little at the tip.
Q—A little loop-the-loop, with the tail still sticking out the end. Q is curly, kinky, funky.
R—R is gracefully curving, a dancer in tendue: muscles taut but graceful, arms lifted proudly over the head.
S—Slipping and curving sinuously, the double curve of the S craves the dark.
T—T is ubiquitous, a table squeezed on the sidewalk in front of a busy restaurant. So common, no one looks twice.
U—Bending and rocking deeply, the U can only sing bass.
V— V is bright and sharp, a blade on a knife.
W— It wavers up and down time and time again, to end looking at the sky.
X— Definitive, but guarding. A gate barring the way into realms unknown.
Y— A broken rake, propped up sadly against the side of a garden shed. It sits there forgotten, gathering dust until the world falls apart around it.
Z—The sharp turns of the Z stop abruptly, but finally.


The author's comments:
Inspired by a similar poem, but with numbers. I think it's called "Numerical Ideograms."