The Only Language You Know

If I were beautiful,
I would speak your language.
And it would roll off the tongue,
As if it belonged to me.

It’s going to waste,
Being untouched.
And shadowed by fake accents
And fancy punctuation,

I’m only saying what I know
And you don’t listen.
You must need a lesson,
Because it seems you forgot yourself.

When I finally become fluent,
I will stay silent.
I will be heard.
And you will understand me.

Angel0913This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 8:55 am:
This is sooo beautiful!!!!! Do tell what inspired you?

PriscillaAnnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 9:16 am :
Thank you! I'm not really sure, actually, It's not really based on me, it's just telling a story of a girl who's tired of not being seen for who she really is by the guy she likes. He's too busy noticing everyone else when she's the only one really trying to get his attention.

ToxicAngel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very interesting! So mysterious and vague. I like a poem of such simplicity and flexibility that it could fit nearly anyone's situation or thoughts even if they're vastly different from your own. You know what I mean? True poetry, abstract and tricky, almost like a two-way mirror or something. Anyway, I'm rambling now. Great job! I really love it!

Sept. 24, 2012 at 9:13 am :
I know exactly what you mean. (: Thank you so much!