Fishbowl

I peek outside from
Behind the glass.
Azure surrounds me,
A glint of bright orange here and there.
Her mouth moves open and closed,
Laughing,
I cannot hear her.

I look myself over,
And don’t see anything wrong.
Bubbles fly from my mouth.
Pointing fingers,
Taps on the glass.
Tink, Tink.
The glass shakes, but sadly
Does not break.

There’s one, two, three…
Four girls.
Tink, Tink.
It seems like thousands.
Laughing, mocking.

Pebbles crush below me,
Their colors
Blue, purple, and green.
Tink, Tink.

Girls looking at me,
Looking at their leader
Like a pack of wolves.
Tink, Tink.

I see a sign,
“Please don’t touch the glass”,
As if they care.
I rather them break the glass,
Than leave me alone.
Tink, Tink.

This is
What it’s like to
Live in a
Fishbowl.

ZeesrockThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The anology between the fishbowl and bullying is genius. From my understanding,  the fishbowl is like a bubble of insecurities that one cannot break free from. Pure genius.

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm :
Thank you!

Anansesem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:15 pm:
What an original connection! I like to keep fish, but I kind of feel sorry for them at the same time.

Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:37 am :
Thank you!

maddireigle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:35 pm:
I really liked this, it's nice to read something that makes you  think. Like connecting the metaphor of the fishbowl and bullying in my head. Good job! c:

Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:11 pm :
Thank you so much!

TheSkyOwesMeRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm:
Oh, I thought it was the girl at first :P Great job! I feel sorry for the gold fish now :(

Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm :
Thank you!

SetiziaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Awesome! The otomotopia really moves it from a poem to a fully colored image in all senses. Plus, I have a new respect for my own pet goldfish :D.

Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:18 am :
Thank you!

Padoodallee said...
You put so much character into your writing! You simplified your words to mimic the thoughts I would imagine a fish would make but you even made it deep and meaningful. Very impressive! Somehow adding the part about the color of the rocks really added to the poem. It somehow brought the perspective down to the fish and what it would look at. Good Job =)

Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:17 am :
Thank you so much!

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:44 am:
Thank you so much! I will return the favor as soon as possible :)

AlexanderQ said...
I like that it has a deeper meaning and the repetition of the sounds at the end of every verse. Once again, could you possibly read, comment, and rate my work? I kept my promise hahaha and read, commented, and rated all of your poems and enjoyed and loved each of them. You are a very good writer! :)

Thank you!!

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I tried posting a comment a minute ago but I guess it didn't work. Anyway, I'll try to remember what I said in that one... Great job on the poem! I love the metaphor! I'm sure many of us can relate to it. It offers a different viewpoint. It's simple, yet powerful. It also made me feel bad about all the times that I've tapped on the glass at aquariums. :> Awesome job!

Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:34 am :
Thank You SO MUCH!!!

mee-mee said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:24 am:
aaahhh mee like(:

mee-mee said...
Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:24 am:
aaahhh mee like(:  at first i was like , whaaa 0.o when i saw the title so i read it and whew ! caught me in for a suorise lmao very good write !

Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm :
Thank you!!