Ode to the Atheist | Teen Ink

Ode to the Atheist

By Maggie Heermann SILVER, Greenwood, Indiana
Maggie Heermann SILVER, Greenwood, Indiana

In the fires of hell I was told I would burn,

If I didn't accept Christ,

There were reasons why I doubted because some of what I was taught I didn't think was right,

I had questions to why rules ,

Why verses were written,

Why parts of the bible appeared the way they did,

But my questions were unanswered,

My reasons were silenced,

Just accept Jesus Christ many told told me,

And the more they said it I denied it,

The more I told people the more hurt I became,

Because people couldn't empathize how my Atheism came,

The people who changed me were only the few people who would listen,

Why I doubted in God,

Why I lived without religion,

I'm Christian now but it took so long to be,

If only more people would have listened to why I doubted, it wouldn't have taken so long to see.

I wrote this poem for any Atheist or Agnostic who's struggling with their beliefs in God and people are dealing with people trying to push their Christ like views on them. You should know you're not alone because I put with it my First Semester of my Sophomore year of High School.

I love this poem, because i can very much relate to this. This is very insperational. I read this, and it got me writting a short story, so thank you. And your an AMAZING writer!!

on Jul. 6 2012 at 11:54 am
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
The topic you wrote about is very interesting and intriguing and that's why I liked this piece the most. I think instead of placing things like this in poetry, you should try short stories instead because your verses were more of sentences than anything. Keep writing!

on Jul. 6 2012 at 3:22 am
VirginiaMangrum BRONZE, Harlowton, Montana

“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” Jack Kerouac

Wow! This is really super! I'm so into athiest/agnostic/apologist debate right now so I was super happy to find this poem! I love how you carry your feelings about how no one would give you answers, and how the last two lines rhyme.

JSchwartz GOLD said...
JSchwartz GOLD, Gainesville, Florida

The problem isn't always the 1%, but the 99% who fight each other to be the 1%.

flExcellen

baby_sunshine BRONZE, Crawfordsville, Indiana
Very good poem. I like the way you described why you were choosing to not accept christ. It is almost the same way I felt when I chose to stop listening to others and begin to think for myself. Please don't think I am criticizing you in this! I am an atheist, but I am not at all hateful towards those who choose to be religious. You are brave in that you chose to question the what those around you are saying. And for that I commend you.