Someone told me | Teen Ink

Someone told me

By Jarodwright14 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
Jarodwright14 BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina

"Be happy to live life today because you don't know what tomorrow holds."- My grandma, Willie Mae

Someone told me
That I was worth it
Someone told me
That I was strong
Someone told me
To be who you are
Someone told me
Not to worry
Someone told me
To let nature take its course
Someone told me
To fight
To fight for what’s right
Someone told me
To have the self-advocacy
Someone told me
All of the pain
Will be gone one day
Someone told me
To look towards the sky
And there you will find
His angels calling on me
There to uplift me
With inspiration and cheer
Getting on the road
And to finish strong
For when I finish
I’m at peace
That is what someone told me

I started to write this piece of poetry to just reflect on my freshmen year of high school. The freshman year was rough for me, Although, I was not a disciplinarian, I started to decline. Classes were hard, math being the hardest. I was in Student Government, where I help served the school with needs. I got into a depression when I made threats to hurt myself. I felt that nobody care and that nobody would help me. I also faced some challenges with my parents, with fussing about personal issues and other grown-up issues. I did not want to see my parents fight. Even in my religious being, I started to lose faith. But one day,someone told me that I was worth something and that the things that I challenge this year were just a test. I realized that I had to look into myself and let things of the past go behind. The past is gone, today is here, tomorrow may not come. I realized we have to do the best we can as beings. We cannot give up, we fall down, we get back up. These words accompany with all that I feel from this year in many ways more than one. I want viewers who read this piece will get an understanding to look inside themselves and to push hard despite the circumstances.