Being Young

Playing outside, running around...
all seem to be so far away from me.
Mom was right---it does go by fast.

When the world was simple,
and nothing darkened my days.
Free and unburdened I was---

I thought my time unlimited,
that I would stay the same.
How wrong I was!

I wore a sparkly crown,
donning pretty dresses,
wishing on stars,
wielding a magic wand.

That girl never wore
paint to hide her face
or cared about
matching her clothes.

Endless games of Candy Land,
Pokemon battles on Gameboy,
my imaginary friends,
Barbie dolls,
dress up...

...now replaced with...

games of "What do you wanna be?",
studying desperately for A's,
having responsibilities,
working to save money,
doing chores...

But I do remember
the wind ruffling my clothes,
pushing me toward the sky---
my strong, little legs swinging

up high, with my eyes closed tight
almost at the height of my swing---
smiling, screaming excitedly.

Positioning my body,
seeing the ground below,
unsure about jumping---
Whispering to myself: 1, 2, 3...

How I yearn for those times---
where every cut, bruise or bite
could be healed with a hug and a kiss.

Sophia said...
Feb. 11 at 3:25 pm:
  Hello! I'm entering a large group speech contest this month, and I was wondering if I could have permission to read your poem? My topic is childhood and growing up, and I think this would be perfect. I can be sure to credit you with your name if you're interested. Let me know!  Sophia 

writefearless said...
Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:03 pm:
reading this made me remember my childhood, and i miss how simple life was when you're a little kid.  this is lovely ♥

capp4 said...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:25 am:
i love this poem

Brisa said...
This reminds me of me and the kids I babysit.

teamo14 said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:46 am:
It's amazing "being young" :)

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:47 am :

Cool thanks:)

kelseycascadia said...
This is a great piece of writing! You really capture the essense of childhood, memories, and the past in such a clear and simple way that it reads as the audiences' own story, and sounds like someone telling a story. Yet the imagery is one of a poets. Good job :)

Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm :
Thanks for that! I look forward to reading some of your work as well~

eternal_sunshine said...

Beautifully written, I really got a feel of your message. You made it specific to you, but I found it easily relatable.

Nice job :)

Apr. 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm :
Cool thanks~

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:47 pm:
Thank you! It's so nice to have someone comment on one of my newest pieces.

dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm:
This was beautiful.
I loved it so much - the message was lovely.

You're very talented.

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:48 am :
Once again, BEAUTIFUL! this is amazing. Elegantly written. I love this. It's wonderful.

Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:50 am :
I'm glad you like it~