In the Meadow

I went out to the meadow
One soft and sleepy night
And saw what may --
Never be seen
In the same light.

Hanging high --
The treetip tops --
Corpses swing dying.
Death bell tolls;
Crows aloft --
Carrion angles
Vying for a bite!

Circling above their heads;
Cadavers' days --
Minutes winding down.

The Not-Yet-Deceased,
The Not-Yet-Departed --
Smile up to hollow souls
And tremble to the ground.
Where gentle blooms --
Hidden!
The shadows cut them out!

Branches snap,
Strings plucked
And yarns unraveled --
Unruly hair.
Mort's sly grin --

They fall.
Fall --
Remains and all
To blossoms untainted.
Escape!
Escape, my dears!
Do not tie One's fate
With them!

Trapped they feel --
Trapped they are.
And I?
I do not attend,
Assist or help.
I turn my back --
Unfeeling gaze;
And flee,
Unaffected.

AlwaysAbditive said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:34 am
Woah this is super unique and artistic. I love it. There's so many "different" things about it, I wish it was longer! Really great job.

Kiki_McGee replied...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 11:57 am
Thanks. I was a little nervous posting it because I had written it in only twenty minutes. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it!

Ethereal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 5:01 am
It kind of confuses me.... and I'm not sure what's up with the little "--" after the lines. It does kind of evoke poe, in a good way. but you say it was a little dark? while reading this I thought it was mega dark!

Kiki_McGee replied...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 11:49 am
The "--" at the end of some lines are supposed to be dashes but they come out as "--" because I can't type a dash on my iPod (I post everything from my iPod). The dashes basically mean a slightly longer pause but still connecting the thought to the rest of the sentence (I am a huge fan of Emily Dickinson and she used to use different sized dashes to represent different sized pauses.). Anyways, thanks for posting and can you figure out what I was trying to get across with this poem? It wasn't dea... (more »)

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:05 am
Okay, the first reading gave me a feeling of maybe Edgar Allen Poe? Just that the beginning took on the theme of death--crows, the time of winter, carrion. Who is Mort? Is this poem about punishing those who have less than honorable intentions in the world--like corrupt politicians and such? Toward the end, the poem's point of view changes, like instead of an unidentified observer, the speaker comes out---using "I." Does the speaker watch as these criminals get what they deserve?

Kiki_McGee replied...
Well you were kind of on the right track. As you have mentioned, the poem is a little dark (I never mentioned winter even though the picture is of a tree in winter. I couldn't really see the picture when I was posting this off of my iPod.)and death is mentioned quite a lot (Mort is another name for Death or the Reaper). However, the theme is not death nor is it about punishing those for their wrongdoings (you did figure out that it is somewhat about politicians and leaders)... I don't think I a... (more »)