In the Meadow | Teen Ink

In the Meadow

By Kiki_McGee GOLD, Woodstock, Illinois
Kiki_McGee GOLD, Woodstock, Illinois

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all." - Emily Dickinson

I went out to the meadow
One soft and sleepy night
And saw what may --
Never be seen
In the same light.

Hanging high --
The treetip tops --
Corpses swing dying.
Death bell tolls;
Crows aloft --
Carrion angles
Vying for a bite!

Circling above their heads;
Cadavers' days --
Minutes winding down.

The Not-Yet-Deceased,
The Not-Yet-Departed --
Smile up to hollow souls
And tremble to the ground.
Where gentle blooms --
Hidden!
The shadows cut them out!

Branches snap,
Strings plucked
And yarns unraveled --
Unruly hair.
Mort's sly grin --

They fall.
Fall --
Remains and all
To blossoms untainted.
Escape!
Escape, my dears!
Do not tie One's fate
With them!

Trapped they feel --
Trapped they are.
And I?
I do not attend,
Assist or help.
I turn my back --
Unfeeling gaze;
And flee,
Unaffected.

The people in this world today.
Looking up to one who should not stand.

on Feb. 18 2012 at 11:57 am
Kiki_McGee GOLD, Woodstock, Illinois

Thanks. I was a little nervous posting it because I had written it in only twenty minutes. I am thrilled that you enjoyed it!

on Feb. 18 2012 at 11:49 am
Kiki_McGee GOLD, Woodstock, Illinois

The "--" at the end of some lines are supposed to be dashes but they come out as "--" because I can't type a dash on my iPod (I post everything from my iPod). The dashes basically mean a slightly longer pause but still connecting the thought to the rest of the sentence (I am a huge fan of Emily Dickinson and she used to use different sized dashes to represent different sized pauses.). Anyways, thanks for posting and can you figure out what I was trying to get across with this poem? It wasn't death or punishment.

on Feb. 18 2012 at 10:34 am
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
Woah this is super unique and artistic. I love it. There's so many "different" things about it, I wish it was longer! Really great job.

on Feb. 18 2012 at 5:01 am
Eshshah PLATINUM, Galloway, New Jersey

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." -Robert Frost

It kind of confuses me.... and I'm not sure what's up with the little "--" after the lines. It does kind of evoke poe, in a good way. but you say it was a little dark? while reading this I thought it was mega dark!

Kiki_McGee GOLD, Woodstock, Illinois

Well you were kind of on the right track. As you have mentioned, the poem is a little dark (I never mentioned winter even though the picture is of a tree in winter. I couldn't really see the picture when I was posting this off of my iPod.)and death is mentioned quite a lot (Mort is another name for Death or the Reaper). However, the theme is not death nor is it about punishing those for their wrongdoings (you did figure out that it is somewhat about politicians and leaders)... I don't think I am going to tell you the true meaning yet (yes, I'm evil like that). I would like you to read it again. Also, the point-of-view doesn't change at the end because I started the first line with "I." P.S. I apologize for the spelling error I made. I meant "carrion angels" not "carrion angles."

on Feb. 16 2012 at 7:05 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Okay, the first reading gave me a feeling of maybe Edgar Allen Poe? Just that the beginning took on the theme of death--crows, the time of winter, carrion. Who is Mort? Is this poem about punishing those who have less than honorable intentions in the world--like corrupt politicians and such? Toward the end, the poem's point of view changes, like instead of an unidentified observer, the speaker comes out---using "I." Does the speaker watch as these criminals get what they deserve?