I remember | Teen Ink

I remember

By Crookedhalo11111 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
Crookedhalo11111 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

I remember when we were small, we went to the shore to pick out seashells. I remember how I felt, standing so close to you. I remember saying how I always feel small when I stand beside the ocean. I remember you telling me that I wasn't the only one. We used to just stand there by the sea, letting the waves wash onto our feet. I remember the sinking feeling I felt in my feet, like I was in quick sand. But I needn't worry. Because you were always there to pick me up.
I remember we used to hold hands, like the best friends we were, and whispering goodbye to the setting sun. The waves were cold, but you kept me warm in your hug. I remember the smell of your hair, salty like the ocean. You always did remind me of the sea.
I remember when you told me that sometimes you miss the sun when it was setting. After all, it wouldn't be back until tomorrow. But how did we know if tomorrow would come? Didn't they always say live your life to the fullest? You never know if you'll have tomorrow. 
But do you remember those times? I remember. Sometimes, I close my eyes, and I could still feel the warm sun shining down on my face, the wind blowing in my hair, the cold waves reaching my feet, and you there, right beside me, holding my hand. But those times when I choose to remember, I would open my eyes, only to realize what I have lost. 
A friend who didn't remember.

I know what it feels like to lose a friend; sometimes people grow apart; but other times, they were just never meant to be.