Birthday Candles

The three decker cake stood before me on the table
All thirteen candles lit and waiting,

The wax melting and fading,
And the base plunged into the goodness of vanilla icing

As the spotlight birthday song continued to be sung.
Once it’s over, the candles seem to get brighter,

Smiles seem to get wider,
And the balloons seem to get lighter

As I stare at the round, sugary cake.
I can feel everybody’s eyes on me,
Beckoning my wish to come and blow out the candles,

So that the mocking cake can be devoured.
I can’t think of my wish or how to put it in words;
I feel pressured with all the family’s and camera’s eyes

Poised on me with expectance.
The icing covered cake sweats on the table,

And within seconds I make up my mind
I take a deep breath and blow 12 flaming candles out

And on the 13th I whisper softly,
'I blew out my birthday candles

And wished for you.'

Inksplotch said...
Aw, this is really cute (: The details are amazing. I'm literally sitting there with you, watching you blow out your candles (: And... I can totally relate to it. I've wished on countless shooting stars and 11:11's wishing for a certain person... sigh. ANYWAYS. You are an amazing writer, keep writing! (:

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm :
Thaaank you :D i'm really glad my poem can make people feel like that. :) and yay! thats what i aim for! For people to be able to relate. I wish on 11:11s too :P I think your wish will come true someday. =) and thanks!!

Silver2blackThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 6:53 am:
That was sweet, it felt like I was invited, l like the included details, I love it, nice share !

Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:23 pm :
thank you thank you thank you! =)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was actually really good! I loved the ending. Totally unexpected. :)

Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:23 pm :
:D thanks!

N.k. said...
Little boy here, just wanted to say that this poem was really, just indulging, it pulls u in and never lets u go. I love it and it really described the seen, -little boy

Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm :
You and i both know that you're not a little boy and < 3 thank you =) , Mr. Guy I Wished For ;)

Choosing2Live4Christ said...
I love the ending, it's so sweet! :)

Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm :
thanks! =) i like your screen name, btw!

Choosing2Live4Christ replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm :
you're welcome! I get that a lot :-)

AngelsLullaby said...
I loved the imagery in this poem. And the ending was so sweet. 5/5 stars

Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm :
thanks! :D

Sokon492 said...
its a good poem........... now i want cake

Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm :
Thank you and here...*hands Sokon492 a cyber cake*

Sokon492 said...
its pretty good ..... now i want cake

Jan. 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm :
o.O two comments, same person :p

-Kal- said...
That was so sweet :) Good job :)

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm :
thanks! =)

Nk sodovodowkwkskdkd said...
I loved this poem eversince I first saw it, and it grows on me everyday, I think u did an amazing job and ily, your little boy, sorry for not texting u I gtg soon