Silent Friend

Following the wandering path
Through the quiet trees
I come across a silent bird
Staring down at me

I did not speak a word
Merely stood and stared
And we peered at the other
As long as we dared

And finally we broke the spell
And looked the other way
But we understood each other finally
A bond of friendship there to stay

His ebony feathers
Ink letters in the air
And though he speaks not a word
The words are still there

In turn I write my own words
To join his in the sky
Gently he blew on them
Coaxing the embers not to die

And then he turned and flew away
A white hole was left behind
A bright absence it hurt to look at
But blazes with the brilliance of his mind

Aderes47 said...

AWW, how beautiful! :)

I feel like that poem describes your relationship perfectly! 

I just wrote a tribute to him too! :) 

savetheplanet replied...
Thank you!   Have they posted your tribute yet?

Aderes47 replied...
No, I just posted it like an hour ago. :)

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Gorgeous! You've written his essence, and I can't find the words for what more I wish to say. All that comes is "good work", but this is a three-dimensional 'good work', Liz, and I hope you will see it as such. It is more than just good work.
Raven truly does coax the embers of everyone he comes in contact with.

savetheplanet replied...
Thank you Stargirl! :) Yes, he does. I was so sad that he left. But recently he made a short visit!

Aderes47 replied...

hey, in my poem, I asked if we could be old-school pen pals(write letters). 

Are you guys cool with that? Wanna start a forum? I feel like I need to catch up. 

Love U guys! :)

savetheplanet replied...
That's fine Aderes! We shall be a secret hexahedron once again! (That was the shape right?)

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Wasn't it 'icosahedron'? We should start a forum, it's been forever sincce any of us have talked :)

Love you too Aderes!

savetheplanet replied...
You're right!  It was icosahedron, I'd forgotten what shape it was and I was the one who started it in the first place D:

JaneCapelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
aww! this poem is so cute, especially with the dedication! I really love all the imagery, and the rhyming really gives it flow...5/5 =)

savetheplanet replied...
Thanks and your poetry is really good too :) You should read Lucy. , it's my best poem.

youngspeare said...
Dec. 11, 2011 at 1:26 am
wow! I'm totally liking your poem save the planet! I love the imagery..! Keep posting (: 
Please check out my poem "Ghosts of the Past" and rate/comment? I'd really appreciate it!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

What does one say at a time like this? What words could express the gratitude that I now feel burning in my spirit? How could I tell you how much I received from this poem, and from our poetic, if somewhat young, friendship? Offer me your words, Liz, for I feel like I have none. :)

I loved this lyrical gift more than you would imagine from my brief comment, and I'm going to print it out and keep it in a special place...

I won't forget you, dear, and I'll stop by Teen Ink every o... (more »)

savetheplanet replied...
That was the highest compliment that you could have possibly given me.  That the poet of all poets should be silenced at words of mine makes me happier than anything. :D I would love for you to come by, TeenInk is so much darker in your absence.  Farewell again, Raven. <3