Alphabet Soup This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Alphabet Soup
I stir the creamy crimson liquid
With the tip of my finger
Around and around
Like a tornado.

An alphabet soup tornado.
The letters swirl
In perfect circles,
I see a B
Two N's
Three A's
One C
Spinning in the fever.

A red, salty fever.
My fingertips sear
With the heat of the soup
Or, at least,
I assume they're burning
Because I can't feel one nerve
In my entire system.

Just like the solar system
I can't feel my body,
Just like I can't see Mars
Or Jupiter
Or Neptune
And I never will be able to,
Not after this news.

This heart-stopping news
That will haunt me
For the rest of my days.
I pretend it's not true
But I know it's still real
It still burns,
Just like my soup.

My alphabet soup.
I take my finger
Nudge the letters
Into a sloppy arrangement
To form a word.

Only one word
Four syllables
Eight letters:
L E U K E M I A

ilikeearth said...
Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:59 am
I remember reading this in a past issue. It made my eyes water. It's a great peom.

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is great! I like how you didn't know what it was about till the end. really good poem.

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:43 am
This is beautiful, it well deserves it's editor's choice badge, but I'm wondering how on Earth it managed not to get published!

ReadWriteBreathe said...
I really like this. It's so original and descriptive. It flowed very nicely and the ending was surprising. Great job!

Katsa13 said...
That was great. You had a great use of words, it flowed together perfectly, and then you tied it all together at the end by bringing it back to the soup. Some writers just let the readers guess what the poem is exactly about, but, in a roundabout way, you made the intention of the poem very clear in the end. Very nice job. I say don't change a thing.

MoraleAsh said...
This is really good! It kept me guessing all the way to the end. I think everything flowed perfectly. Great job!

Sherry.K said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:51 am
That is a great poem! I love the descriptions and when it all links together in the end my heart jolted. That's seriously really good, keep writing :)

Jenny_In_Pink said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 1:48 am
I like the imagery. You have some really good descriptive words. Keep writing!

lilmartz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 11:03 am
I really like this! I honestly could not find anything wrong with it, which is probably why it was picked as an editor's choice, so good job! I really like how you structured the stanzas and lines and had some repetition because it made the poem flow really nicely. Nice work :)